Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-24-2019, 06:12 AM   #1
gisahag
Forum Regular

Default I hate my bagpipes

Has anyone ever bought a set of pipes (other than those from Pakistan) that have been a complete nightmare and that you've really hated?
Every time there's thread asking for opinions on a particular make of pipes, or asking for advice on which make of pipes to buy, generally most of the answers are along the lines of "I've got / had brand X bagpipes and I love(d) them. You should buy a set of these too. They're really great becasue..... ". You almost never see posts saying "Don't buy Y, I had a set and I hated them because....."
Please, no names of makes here. I'm not trying to get the forum shut down for defamation. I just want to test the theory that in actual fact ALL the main western makers of pipes these days are really good, that most of the makers in the past were also pretty good, and that no-one ever gets a set of pipes that they're unhappy with unless they buy a set of Sialkot's finest from Amazon/ebay.

(I don't actually hate my bagpipes. They're great, and you should buy the same make too. And the same bag, reeds, MCS, tuner, pipe case.....)
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: I hate my bagpipes

Nice. I dig this post.
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:53 AM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I’ll make a list:

1. Syke!

I don’t think there are any Western instruments to hate. Even the ones I would advise against just because there are better pipes at the same price are still serviceable enough to not hate them.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisahag View Post
Has anyone ever bought a set of pipes (other than those from Pakistan) that have been a complete nightmare and that you've really hated?

(I don't actually hate my bagpipes. They're great, and you should buy the same make too. And the same bag, reeds, MCS, tuner, pipe case.....)
I had a set I hated, couldn't get them tune, or stay in tune. Hated them. But after sometime, years, they became very easy to tune and would be stable for long periods. Looking back now it seems the problem was with the piper and not with the pipes.
I still play those old pipes and have a hell of alot of fun with them. Travelled the world with them, and competed at a good level. Not bad for a 'cheap' set.

And no you don't want to buy that make, I play this make and they are far superior
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Reminds me of a set I contemplated buying in my early yoot...in a pawn shop .

The shop clerk was extolling all the virtues of how good they were....”owned by a friend..” ....who happened to also be in uniformed services...” he wouldn’t own any thing but top notch..”...” ..here...look at these nice white parts,....this nice wool cover, ..these cords....this bag inside...” ...all the meh points.

What actually dissuaded me from buying them ...a set I’d surely hate....was finding that the outside tenor pin had been repaired...replaced...with a solid wood dowel painted black .
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
... the outside tenor pin had been repaired...replaced...with a solid wood dowel painted black .
Ha!

That would be an air-efficient set for sure! The judges would never know!

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Kind of.

There are some pipes that are definitely better than others, though, it is largely a matter of taste.

I've had some students who already had pipes, and I thought to myself "if these were mine, I'd be pissed." And my first set, though they're perfectly "ok," it didn't take more than a few years for me to yearn for something "better" .. like many of the pipes I'd hear on the shoulders of other players.

That said though, "hate" is a mighty-strong word. There are very few makes that I might tell a student "stay away from xxxx" ... but there are a few.

And again ... taste. On the flipside, I LOVE my pipes, and part of that is its loud, roaring bass. Some folks agree with me, others don't. I don't really care who agrees though, they are MY pipes afterall. =) .. more for me.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
Ha!

That would be an air-efficient set for sure! The judges would never know!

-Matthew
...iirc the clerk said ,...about it,... “oh yeah, no worries...that’s just an extra piece ( the drone) to balance the set when being carried “...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Yes, I purchased a set I hated. First non-Pakistani set I owned.

*Every* wooden section warped with two years, including the blowpipe stock (it's only 2 inches and had a noticeable warp!). The top bass pin became so warped you could tune the drone top even half way down the pin (not that you would, but...). It looked like Gonzo's nose.

On top of that, the varnish all starting peeling off, especially any place you'd touch....

Then all the mounts started falling off.

Simply dreadful. Glad to have gotten rid of them. Put them on eBay described and photographed with all the flaws and still got a few hundred bucks for them (I think I posted them for $100).
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
J.R.
Forum Silver Medal

Ooof. Yep. Couple sets. One was my fist S/I set from a newish maker. I had heard a set and liked them, but the ones I received never tuned well, and there were issues with the turning. Even the silver was engraving was disappointing, and every time I looked at them I would feel disappointed. Got rid of them at a loss, but fortunately wandered into an awesome set of Hendersons that I played for a few years. Current set of pipes sound great, but there was some bad blood with the maker due to a shipping glitch that really tainted my experience. Every time I pick them up I'm reminded of what a bummer it was.

Best part of piping is there's always another set out there.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote