Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
connpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Solo chanters/reeds

Good day,

I am looking to refine my sound for next season. I currently play 2005 McCallum pipes, McC2 ABW chanter with G1 platinum reed, and EZdrone reeds. Switched from Canning beginning of season. Next season I may or may not play a set of Hector Russell ABW pipes

Just curious as to what others are playing, what you like for sound.
All the best
connpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Solo chanters/reeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by connpiper View Post
Good day,

I am looking to refine my sound for next season. I currently play 2005 McCallum pipes, McC2 ABW chanter with G1 platinum reed, and EZdrone reeds. Switched from Canning beginning of season. Next season I may or may not play a set of Hector Russell ABW pipes

Just curious as to what others are playing, what you like for sound.
All the best
What do you mean by refine your sound? A more mellow sound?
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Good day,

I am looking to refine my sound for next season. I currently play 2005 McCallum pipes, McC2 ABW chanter with G1 platinum reed, and EZdrone reeds
Ď soundsí like youíve already got all the right stuff. You might already know that the chanter designer himself likes MacPhee reeds...
Itís a nice luxury to be able to switch reeds, pipes etc in the unending chase.
A refining step up for you might be a sheep or other hide bag if not playing one already. A lower cost alternative ..Canmore hybrid....

So,..what grade are you competing in/results..and what instrument comments do you receive from adjudicators. If you consider score sheet instrument commentary..is there any consistency that suggests what to chase?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
connpiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
What do you mean by refine your sound? A more mellow sound?
Make better, hence refine
Old 09-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
connpiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Ď soundsí like youíve already got all the right stuff. You might already know that the chanter designer himself likes MacPhee reeds...
Itís a nice luxury to be able to switch reeds, pipes etc in the unending chase.
A refining step up for you might be a sheep or other hide bag if not playing one already. A lower cost alternative ..Canmore hybrid....

So,..what grade are you competing in/results..and what instrument comments do you receive from adjudicators. If you consider score sheet instrument commentary..is there any consistency that suggests what to chase?
I am playing a sheep skin. I like the G1 so far, I'm sure I've tried the McPhee but don't remember. The H.R. are currently set up with Gannaway and cane reeds and has G1 chanter and reed.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

I am playing a sheep skin. I like the G1 so far, I'm sure I've tried the McPhee but don't remember. The H.R. are currently set up with Gannaway and cane reeds and has G1 chanter and reed.
Yep..All the right stuff;.....Except for the rat race of now trying out...with expense...multiple different sets of syn drone reeds ...how about a cane bass reed to augment the popular gold standard EZ tenors?

Commentary/results in your competition grade sheets might include clues to consider. If any of those judges are somewhat local...a personal chat or session..with your pipes... could be eye opening.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yeah .. this is a very tough area to nail down, it seems to me.

I've been on this search myself since starting with competition last year. My competition set is an old, 1910s set of cocuswood Hendersons ... a lucky find that I purchased specifically for the intention of entering into solo competitions.

I experimented around for a while, initially settling on Redwood tenors and an original Kinnaird bass. Comments were inconsistent ... either they were glowing, or I was told that the bass was overpowering. By about mid-season last year, I tried switching to Ezee drone tenors, and still the Kinnaird bass. Comments were all very positive except for one of the final of the season, and it was the only event that was indoors. That judge gently suggested that I continue to explore refining the sound of the drones, and he specifically said that I should do so with reeds.

Looking back, nearly all comments about the powerful bass were when I was playing inside .. something that I keep in mind. Still, it would be nice to find a set up that seems to work universally.

In the middle of the winter, someone suggested that I try out a set of Henderson Harmonic reeds. I did, and was relatively happy with the sound. At the same time, I also switched to a sheepskin.

This seemed to go quite well as I started out this season after moving up to grade 2, but eventually it became clear that the tenors would start to gurgle if I played for too long. In a pinch, I decided to swap out the Ez tenors with a set of Rockets that I'd lucked into a long time back.

I've been enjoying quite favorable results/comments ever since, though it'll be a while before I'm likely to have another indoor contest.

So for the time being, that combination is where I'm at:
  • Rocket tenors
  • Henderson Harmonic Bass
  • Sheep bag w/ simple tube trap (and Trap-dri)
  • Naill or Gandy McCallum chanter
  • G1 platinum chanter reeds (usually)

I'm sure it'll keep changing. For the most part, I'd change one thing ... and leave it for a while before messing with anything else.

That'd be my suggestion: try one thing at a time, and stick with it a bit before changing something else. With so many variables (and opinions), I think it's inevitable that you'll be "finding your sound" for quite some time.

And don't neglect time working on your steadiness, chanter tuning, and blowing for tone ... it's amazing what a difference that all makes in the end. Far too often I feel that players will be buying all kinds of stuff to try and fix things that are really just a matter of needing to focus on fundamentals.

That's my 2Ę ... take of it what you will.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post

or I was told that the bass was overpowering...

~Nate
An X-treme bass reed might cure that..... see if you can find a mate to let you try one.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
An X-treme bass reed might cure that..... see if you can find a mate to let you try one.
I have one and wasn't overly impressed .. but I'd be willing to try it once again (when the season's done and gone).

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
I have one and wasn't overly impressed .. but I'd be willing to try it once again (when the season's done and gone).

Cheers,
~Nate
I've had really good results with regular Ezee tenors and an Increased Absorption Ezee bass. That combo seems to be getting more popular with some of the bigger names, as well.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote