Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
Barry Shears

Default Any tips on downloading upgrades to the Blair chanter

Hello,
I have been trying to upload the updates for the Blair chanter with no success. I use a Mac and I am a bit of a lucite so be gentle with any advice,
step by step directions for dummies if anyone has the time
thanks in advance
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Any tips on downloading upgrades to the Blair chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Shears View Post
Hello,
I have been trying to upload the updates for the Blair chanter with no success. I use a Mac and I am a bit of a lucite so be gentle with any advice,
step by step directions for dummies if anyone has the time
thanks in advance
Barry
Hi Barry .. I just downloaded them all yesterday, and there are a couple of hurdles. I also use a Mac, by-the-by. I'm using the Chrome browser, but if you're using Safari instead, the process should be approximately the same.

I typed up the process below, and tried to think of any weird spots. For the hell of it, I also made some screen shots .. they should appear as clickable numbers in place.

Firstly, make sure your Mac's Operating System isn't too old. If you go up to the Apple Icon on your upper left, and goto "About Mac" (01) ... your version number needs to be above 10.09 ... mine is 10.14. (02)

Assuming you're ok to go with your Operating System, goto this page:

https://blairbagpipes.com/downloads-2/

... and then in the yellow area .. click and download "Download MAC v2.2" .. (03) .. if a download button appears .. click that.

Now goto your Downloads folder on your Mac (command-N for new window, and if you have a left panel, Downloads is usually showing) ... and locate the file you downloaded "Blair Digital Bagpipes v2.2.dmg" (04)

Double-click that file, and you'll see a window pop up showing a Blair icon, and an Applications folder. (04b) Click and hold on the Blair icon, and drag it over the Applications folder. You might be prompted for your password after doing this.

After this is done, the program for updating your chanter is "installed." The easiest way to fire it up is to press "command - spacebar" .. to open a quick search, and type in "Blair Digital Bagpipes" ... (05) ... it should be the first item that comes up ... double-click it to open it up, and you should see the Blair application open up .. leave it for a few minutes.
((((((((((((

.... this might not happen, so if the program opened up no problem, skip this section ... ((( If the program doesn't open, it's possible that your Mac refused to open it because it's from an unknown developer. Do "command-spacebar" again, and now type in Security & Privacy. (05b) Double-click the first item to open up your Security preferences. There's a Lock on the lower left ... click to unlock and put in your login credentials, and (I think) goto the General tab on top. There should be a message saying that the Blair program was blocked ... and a button that says "Open Anyway" ... click that, and the Blair program will finally open. .... I would screenshot this, but it's not occurring for me, so I can't duplicate it.

)))))))))))))))

Now go back to that webpage above (https://blairbagpipes.com/downloads-2/), and you'll need to download several files (if you want all of the new options) ... (06) & (07)
  • The v1.13 firmware
  • Key of C Scottish Smallpipes
  • Key of D Scottish Smallpipes
  • Do (Breton) Bagpipes in the key of B
  • A Major Bagpipe

The links for all of them are in that first gray section ... one by one, download them all ... I like right clicking them and selecting "New Tab" since there are a bunch. (08) For each file, it looks like you need to click the Download Icon that'll be on your upper right of the page that opens for each file. (09)

When finished, you should now have 6 total files from all of this in your Download folder ... (10)
  • A Major Bagpipe.bdc.zip
  • Do-G1Reeds.bdc.zip
  • Blair_D_Smallpipes.bdc.zip
  • Blair_C_Smallpipes.bdc.zip
  • V1.13.bdc.zip
  • Blair Digital Bagpipes v2.2.dmg

Those bold and underlined ones .. notice they have ".zip" at the end. That means they're package files which are "zipped up." Just double-click each one, one at a time. After this .. the actual files (all ending in .bdc) will now be showing in your downloads folder. (11)

Return to the Blair program window from before ... click on the button "Add Update File."... (11b) ... a window pops up, navigate to your Downloads folder, and select the firmware file "V1.13.bdc"

Click "Add Udpate File" again .. and select one of the other files ... and repeat this for all the BDC files you'd downloaded. Afterward, you'll see all those files listed and checked in the white panel at the bottom of the Blair program window. (12)

Get your chanter, and the USB cord. Plug it into the chanter and the USB port on your machine (I recommend the USB directly on your machine, and not say, onto your keyboard, if you have that).

On the Blair Chanter, navigate to "Advanced" .. then up to "Updater." It should say "ready to update" on the chanter, and the Blair program should also show green checks, meaning that the chanter is detected. (13)

Click the "Update Chanter" button (14), and let it do it's work .. it'll take a good minute or so. When it's done, you'll get a dialog telling you it all went swimmingly. Click ok, disconnect everything, and you can close everything up.

Enjoy!

Hope this helps .. I tried to be thorough, as I tend to find that "luddites" don't do so well with ambiguity. Is that what you meant by "lucite?"

Cheers,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 11-06-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
Barry Shears

Magic!
Murray should have you on the payroll. Thank you so much for taking the time to send the detailed instructions.. It worked like a charm
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Shears View Post
Magic!
Murray should have you on the payroll. Thank you so much for taking the time to send the detailed instructions.. It worked like a charm
Barry
=) glad to be of service.

Cheers & chunes,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote