Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > In Memoriam
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Memoriam Sharing memories of friends and loved ones departed from our world of piping drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
SandyBPiper
Forum Member

Default John "Jock" Nisbet

For those who hadn't heard, Jock Nisbet of The Piper's Cove in Kearny, NJ, passed away last month. He sold me my first set of pipes several years ago. He will be missed.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/st...717&fhid=21761
SandyBPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #2
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Regular

Default Re: John "Jock" Nisbet

Jock sold me my first pipes in 1983. He sold me a set of half-mounted Kintail pipes, made by Greig Sharp. They were really nice pipes! He was a kind soul who went out of his way to help his customers and point them in the right direction. I made many purchases over the years, no matter where I was at in the world. I clearly recall being posted in the American Embassy in Bogota, Colombia in 1995, and the assistant DEA Attache's son passed away in a tragic accident. The boy's grandmother would always sing "Danny Boy" to him as an infant. The DEA attache asked me if I would play "Danny Boy" on the pipes at the funeral in Bogota. I did not know the tune, so I called Jock and asked if he had the sheet music. Literally, in less that 5 minutes, Jock had faxed the sheet music to me at the American Embassy in Bogota, Colombia! On another occasion, I remember walking into the store on the 2nd floor one day and he had the biggest smile on his face. He told me that a woman had lost her husband and had some bagpipes that she was interested in selling. They turned out to be (if memory serves me right) Duncan MacDougall pipes in pristine condition! He was so happy to have those pipes, and could not stop talking about them. I was always so happy to visit the store and see Joan at the counter downstairs - always a kind and wonderful soul! I clearly remember the last time I saw Jock, about June 2011 I believe. My brother made a purchase for me one Christmas, and shortly afterwards passed away. Some 20 years later, I found out that my brother had not been able to pay Jock and Joan for the items. So I took the original receipt and drove from Florida to The Piper's Cove. I explained what had happened to Jock. We were upstairs. He called Joan upstairs. He asked me to repeat the story I had told him and their faces turned into expressions of incredible shock. Collin was there as well. They thanked me for driving all the way from Florida to the store and forgave the debt. They asked if they could send it as a donation to St. Jude, and I am sure that it what they did. Jock was always incredibly kind! I was shocked to come across this news. The community has lost a fine gentleman and piper! I will miss seeing him.

Our deepest sympathies and all the best to Joan, Collin and family.

RIP, Jock
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote