Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Am I really expected to play double d-gracenotes on certain triplets in jigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McGillivray

Nobody said playing bagpipes well was easy.

JM

What?!... You mean it ain't?!

(Sorry... Just couldn't help it.)

(Just keep after it!!

Gold Sponsor
Old 12-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #12
razzmaster
Forum Member

Default Re: Am I really expected to play double d-gracenotes on certain triplets in jigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake15296 View Post
I should stop complaining and just practise them already?Image: https://ibb.co/bXqxrHk
That is correct.
razzmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:25 AM   #13
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

The finger dynamics of those two D grace notes are not identical. If a piper is taught to reflect the flow of the melody in the movement of all the notes, melody and gracing, then lifting off that B with a D-grace is intuitive and logical.

As my teacher would say about those single grace notes, and why they are a part of clean piping, "Going up is not going down, and vice versa, and that's all I'm going to say about it!" More charming in her Glaswegian tones.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #14
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Am I really expected to play double D-gracenotes on certain triplets in jigs?

If you can find the music, look up a reel by John Walsh called The Korgi. It's a pleasant and melodic tune, fairly easy, and very good for practicing tachums and high g/d gracenote exchanges.
Of course, the timing and expression are different between a reel and a 6/8, but use that as an exercise or practice piece and you'll have Donald Cameron's Powderhorn down in no time.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #15
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Am I really expected to play double D-gracenotes on certain triplets in jigs?

Funny, as I finger through various tunes it seems that a D gracenote following a Tachum is more common than I thought it was!

I play it without a second thought (not that my D gracenotes would set the world on fire- they are indeed my weakest gracenote).
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #16
westvanpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

you gotta get fast/comfortable with those d gracenotes, Stool of repentance comes to mind, d gracenotes from b to low g are great practice
westvanpiper is offline   Reply With Quote