Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Gene Mitchell
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to Gene Mitchell
Default Gannaway blowpipe tie in

Hey All,
Well I just bought a new blowpipe from Peter Crisler to replace my old beaten up one and came across an issue. When I originally tied my blowpipe in the material was stiff so it was easy to move the blowpipe into position. Now the hole is stretched and when I position the blowpipe it doesn't stay long. I was thinking about wrapping electrical tape around the stock to thicken it in hopes it will stay in position long enough for me to tie it in. When I position it the one side of the stock is close to the groove for tie in but the other side has much more material making it harder to tie in the groove. I have tried a clamp but was too much of a pain. Any ideas?

Last edited by Gene Mitchell; 05-05-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Gene Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Gannaway blowpipe tie in

I'm not sure I'm following, but maybe a rubber band to hold things in place temporarily would help? I've done that with chanter stocks, anyway....

Matt
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Gene Mitchell
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to Gene Mitchell

I tried one of those rubber collars that comes with one of the synthetic bags cant remember which one. When I went to push the stock through it came off because it gripped too much.

Basically Im trying to position the stock so I can tie it in. The problem is the hole is worn a little making it a tad too loose to temporarily put the stock in place without moving.

Also tilting the stock in the bag for tie in makes it hard to tie in the groove since one side has more material than the other.

Sorry its a lot of info not sure how else to describe it

Gene Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Mike Lynch
Forum Clasp

Gene, when you push stocks through a Gannaway bag, always use a small amount of petroleum jelly around the inside of the hole cut. This will make it easier to push the stock through and also help prevent the bag from tearing.

With that said, push your blowpipe stock through the hole, but not as far up as you want it. At this point, tie a slip knot around the stock so that it catches the bag. Try to get the angle that you want and then push the stock so that the tie-in string catches in a groove in the stock. Since you stated that the hole for this stock is a bit stretched, you may have to tie in your stock a little deeper in the bag than you normally would have to.

I have Gannaway bags of both stands of my pipes and I have only used tie-in cord. You shouldn't have to use rubber rings, adjustable metal collars, or any other such aid.

Also, Andrew Lenz's Bagpipe Journey site is a terrific reference.

Good luck!
Mike
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
milwiron
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mitchell View Post
I tried one of those rubber collars that comes with one of the synthetic bags cant remember which one. When I went to push the stock through it came off because it gripped too much.

Basically Im trying to position the stock so I can tie it in. The problem is the hole is worn a little making it a tad too loose to temporarily put the stock in place without moving.

Also tilting the stock in the bag for tie in makes it hard to tie in the groove since one side has more material than the other.

Sorry its a lot of info not sure how else to describe it
Could you hold it in place with a couple of the smallest nylon cable ties hooked end to end so they're long enough? That would be easy to quickly zip tight without wrestling with tie-in cord.
I hate the look of cable ties myself, I'd think you could wrap over the cable tie with tie-in cord to cover it and for a better seal. Just a thought.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
philippewilliamdaniel
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lynch View Post
Gene, when you push stocks through a Gannaway bag, always use a small amount of petroleum jelly around the inside of the hole cut. This will make it easier to push the stock through and also help prevent the bag from tearing.

With that said, push your blowpipe stock through the hole, but not as far up as you want it. At this point, tie a slip knot around the stock so that it catches the bag. Try to get the angle that you want and then push the stock so that the tie-in string catches in a groove in the stock. Since you stated that the hole for this stock is a bit stretched, you may have to tie in your stock a little deeper in the bag than you normally would have to.

I have Gannaway bags of both stands of my pipes and I have only used tie-in cord. You shouldn't have to use rubber rings, adjustable metal collars, or any other such aid.

Also, Andrew Lenz's Bagpipe Journey site is a terrific reference.

Good luck!
Mike
Just have to agree with Mike!
philippewilliamdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote