Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Bill Adam
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Complete reed making kits with tools

As a music major with bassoon as major instrument, we were not allowed to use store bought reeds. Every Wednesday night the reed making class was held for both oboe and bassoon majors. They provided the gougers and profilers and we purchased our own knives, sharpeners, thread, etc. etc.

Using oboe as a guide, here are some of the cost of reed making supplies.

Basic kit (knife, mandrel, cutting block, ruler, sharpening stone, thread, some cane and some staples: $130.

Gouging Machine: $1500-$2100 (makes one buy pre gouged/profiled cane)

Cane splitter: $70

Micrometer to measure blade thickness: $250 with needle dial or $570 for digital.

There are also some other extras such as cane trimmer, cases, etc. etc.

AS for continuing to make my own reeds after college. No. I continued to play in community groups but teaching music in school was my thing. I found a good source of hand made reeds and bought those. Cost me a little more but the ones I bought am able to but a reed stronger than I use and then do the final adjusting to suit my needs. Making your own reeds is a time consuming process.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

It has been my happy state to have been a customer
of Shawn and Husk Reeds... and I am quite sure that
this shall continue in to the future.

I also think that this is a very good idea of his... and
shall in no wise be a detriment to his main business
in the reeds game...

The reason is quite simple.

I would not make... and then play my own reeds... and
for the very same reason that I would not go out and buy
a kit... and then make... and fly... my own helicopter... !!... :)

In reasonable certainty that there are several of us out
here, if not many, of like mind... and with...

Regards to All,

Pip01

Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
Tedley
Forum Silver Medal

I know a few makers that use almost no tools. A shaper is not necessary. Just mark the slip dimentions on the cane and cut close with a knife and finish off with sandpaper. A profiler is not needed. Many do it by just sanding and scraping. Some do not use a gouge. You can use 180 grit sandpaper wrapped around a beer bottle or other appropriate cylinder and go for it. The only needed tools being a sharp knife, sandpaper and a rule to measure with. That's how the first reed maker I met did it and he made great reeds. It's far more about technique than tools. I use an out-cannel gouge to get close and sand to finish. I use no shaper or profiler. The only need for tooling is to speed up the process so you can make money. Perfectly fine reeds can be made as described, and can be just fine for the handy man. My reed making kit would be under $20.

Last edited by Tedley; 04-27-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Bill Adam
Forum Clasp

The reason we were using splitters, gougers and profilers is were were starting from pieces of tube cane. The tubes were cut to a certain length and from one tube I would get three bassoon reeds. That is if I didn't split the cane on the folding process or forming the tube after folding the cane. This was in the early 70's and I think a single tube of cane cost us about 50 cents at that time. Now it is about $2 for a single tube, still a good price.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Tedley
Forum Silver Medal

For drone reeds, a small fine-toothed saw from the hobby shop is about $4.00 (Atlas Super Saw), which could be added to yhe double reed-making kit. A file and a single edge razor blade and a alcohol lamp (optional) for sealing wax is all I use. So $25 should outfit you for making both types of reeds.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Tedley
Forum Silver Medal

I start from tube cane. I am just pointing out that minimal tooling can get the job done and does for a number of makers. I file down my own mandrels. The saw is best to cut cane to length.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
colinmaclellan
Forum Gold Medal

It's a ploy. He wants everybody out there to knock their heads in for a few evenings so they all know what's involved and then the great cartel of reedmakers can triple to price to the level it really should be at.

Ho! ho!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
usmcpiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmaclellan View Post
It's a ploy. He wants everybody out there to knock their heads in for a few evenings so they all know what's involved and then the great cartel of reedmakers can triple to price to the level it really should be at.

Ho! ho!
I KNEW IT!!!!! All you reedmakers are in it together! CONSPIRACY! CONSPIRACY!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
Johnniez
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmaclellan View Post

Ho! ho!
'-) Dat's a Gudun !!!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
philippewilliamdaniel
Forum Clasp

My coffee just went down on the wrong way!
Closed Thread