Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #11
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Default Re: A Hymn a day

Be Not Afraid.
http://royalpiper.homestead.com/Be_Not_Afraid.mp3

Here I Am Lord.
http://royalpiper.homestead.com/Here_I_Am_Lord.mp3
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

For these you mention I'll add where they are in my Bagpipe Hymn A Day.

I present them in order of commonness amongst my 20-odd Hymnals representing most US denominations.

NEW BRITAIN (day 9)
ST. COLUMBA (day 23)
HYFRYDOL (day 1, it's the most common tune, 13 different Hymns)
ST. CATHERINE (day 6)
ASH GROVE (doesn't fit the 9)
Ode to Joy/HYMN TO JOY (day 24)
GOTT VATER SEI GEPRIESEN (fits perfectly! Will add it to my list, thanks!)
Shaker Song/SIMPLE GIFTS (day 30)
OLD HUNDREDTH (day 4)
O WALY WALY (day 35)
ENDLESS SONG (fits pefectly! Will add to my list, thanks!)
Kelvin Grove (uses a high B)
Abide With Me/EVENTIDE (doesn't fit)
Faith Of Our Fathers/ST CATHERNE (day 6)
Softly and Tenderly (doesn't fit)
Jesus Is Calling (not in the four Hymnals I have to hand at the moment)
Nearer, My God, To Thee/BETHANY (doesn't fit)
DIX (day 3, the third most-widespread Hymn tune)
FOREST GREEN (doesn't fit, it will be in the second round of tunes)

These two are on my radar for sure, these are sung at my own church though as I recall when I was surveying all the various denominations' Hymnals these weren't very widespread.

Sing A New Song (Dan Shutte);
Here I am, Lord (Dan Shutte).
Old 07-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #13
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Be Not Afraid.
My "bagpipe Hymn a day" for now will be sticking to tunes that, as they stand, fit perfectly on the 9 notes of the ordinary Highland pipe scale requiring no substitute notes etc.

Quote:
Here I Am Lord.
That one does fit perfectly, it's one of my favourite songs, and one they play in my own church all the time.

I'm presenting Hymn-tunes in the order of widespreadedness across a wide spectrum of denominations. So, songs that are denomination-specific are outside of my purpose, sad to say.

Due to copyright issues my series will be sticking to traditional Public Domain Hymn tunes.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #14
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Be Not Afraid.
My "bagpipe Hymn a day" for now will be sticking to tunes that, as they stand, fit perfectly on the 9 notes of the ordinary Highland pipe scale requiring no substitute notes etc.

It does.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

It does.
I think we are expressing ourselves differently.

What I mean when I say "fits perfectly on the ordinary nine notes" is that the actual tune, as it has always appeared in Hymnals, can be played on the ordinary 9 notes of the Highland chanter without having to change the actual melody in any way.

I have Be Not Afraid in a Hymnal in front of me now, and the actual tune as it was composed and as it is published in Hymnals cannot be performed on the ordinary 9 notes of the Scottish chanter.

Here's the first line of Verse one, in a Hymnal and then transposed to D, the key where it best fits the Highland pipe scale.

Notice that the pickup notes are two, then one, note lower than D. Transposed D becomes the bagpipe's Low A and those pickup notes are Low F# and Low G. The pipes, as ordinarily played, don't have the note Low F#.

It's perfectly possible to play Low F#, using a leg to cover one of the vent-holes, but the mission I've given myself is to present tunes that fit in the normal/ordinary 9 notes. After I have exhausted those Hymns I will go on to ones that don't quite fit.

I'm not saying that it's not OK for pipers to change notes in a tune in order to play it on the pipes! But changing notes, and playing a tune with with no changed notes (in other words, correctly) are two different things.

In any case modern tunes that are not Public Domain will have to be let alone, Youtube will block them.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 08-07-2020 at 11:25 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:00 PM   #16
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well today is day 30.

I've stuck to it, having presented 30 Hymn tunes which are the vehicles for 145 Hymns.

This is due to the average tune being used for 4 or 5 Hymns, though a few tunes are only seen using one, and a few tunes are seen with ten or more Hymns.

So far all the tunes fit perfectly on "the nine". I have enough Hymn-tunes like that for another two or three weeks.

Then it will be on to the large number of "almost fit" Hymn tunes, which aren't as musically satisfying. (Cover your chanter's thumb-hole with tape so your highest possible note is High G, and play Amazing Grace, to see just how musically unsatisfying it can be!)
Old 08-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #17
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

I just worked up "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" for a funeral, if you're interested.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:02 PM   #18
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
All Praise And Glad Thanksgiving (GOTT VATER SEI GEPRIESEN)
OK I finally put it up, it's today, Day 49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ml5EwwgACQ&t=43s

I had to take a stab at the German pronunciation. That's the thing with Hymns, so many of the tunes have German and Welsh names.

Section One of my book (tunes that fit perfectly on the ordinary 9 notes) ends at tune 40, there are so many more that didn't make the cut for the book that I'm using now.

I think by the time I get to Day 60 I will have exhausted the relatively widespread "perfect" tunes and it will be time to switch to the "almost" ones.

For me, they're tunes that don't quite fit but don't require special fingerings.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #19
Aged Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Have you considered:

St. Patrick’s Breastplate, a/k/a Christ Before Me?

It was written to the old Welsh tune: SUO GAN.

And

Lord of All Hopefulness, attributed to Irish harpist Turloch O’Carolan?

Both would seem to fit the Guidelines you have set out.
Aged Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #20
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
OK I finally put it up, it's today, Day 49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ml5EwwgACQ&t=43s

I had to take a stab at the German pronunciation. That's the thing with Hymns, so many of the tunes have German and Welsh names.

Snip
Got Fahter Zigh ( as in sigh) GePREEzen.