Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #31
Aged Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: A Hymn a day

There are several tunes used for St. Patrick’s Breastplate. However, The Welsh lullaby SUO GAN Fits perfectly.

Check this link. https://youtu.be/bGxaRXDCMxE
Aged Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-18-2020, 05:48 AM   #32
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
I would agree that it fits the G scale, but against A drones? Not my cup of coffee.
But you play tunes in D and B minor over the A drones no?

Many old Highland pipe tunes are in G, some piobaireachd, some Strathspeys, some reels. New tunes are still being composed in G, I hear them at the Worlds frequently.

Highland pipers in the old days didn't hesitate to put a tune in G if it fit better, if it needed the 9th, say.

The poster children perhaps are The Campbells Are Coming and Cabar Feidh.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #33
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
But you play tunes in D and B minor over the A drones no?

Many old Highland pipe tunes are in G, some piobaireachd, some Strathspeys, some reels. New tunes are still being composed in G, I hear them at the Worlds frequently.

Highland pipers in the old days didn't hesitate to put a tune in G if it fit better, if it needed the 9th, say.

The poster children perhaps are The Campbells Are Coming and Cabar Feidh.
I understand, but if one CAN play the 9th and the leading tone, then why not do so? Borderpipers had been doing it for ages.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #34
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes but the old Lowland Pipes had a special bore and reed specifically designed to do that, while the new wide-bore high-pitch Highland pipe chanters combined with strong ridge-cut reeds are specifically designed to be as stable as possible.

On my new band chanter it doesn't matter how you finger E, you can have the lower fingers in any combination and the note hardly changes pitch. On old chanters changing fingers usually dropped E around a quartertone, and as we know on modern Borderpipes E can be dropped a semitone to D# by changing the lower-hand fingers.

Also on my new band chanter no fingering I've tried will give F natural.

High G# and C natural work, though.

I suppose the irony is that as more pipers are discovering alternate fingerings, changes in chanter and reed design are creating pipes that tend to defeat them.

That's what I love about my McCallum 466 chanter, it behaves like old chanters and works great with alternate fingerings.

But the vast majority of pipers aren't playing 466 chanters, they're playing the new high-pitch wide-bore ones.

In any case as I've said playing High B is great for that tiny minority who know how to do it. My Hymn arrangements need to be aimed at the typical piper, I think.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #35
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Yes but the old Lowland Pipes had a special bore and reed specifically designed to do that, while the new wide-bore high-pitch Highland pipe chanters combined with strong ridge-cut reeds are specifically designed to be as stable as possible.

On my new band chanter it doesn't matter how you finger E, you can have the lower fingers in any combination and the note hardly changes pitch. On old chanters changing fingers usually dropped E around a quartertone, and as we know on modern Borderpipes E can be dropped a semitone to D# by changing the lower-hand fingers.

Also on my new band chanter no fingering I've tried will give F natural.

High G# and C natural work, though.

I suppose the irony is that as more pipers are discovering alternate fingerings, changes in chanter and reed design are creating pipes that tend to defeat them.

That's what I love about my McCallum 466 chanter, it behaves like old chanters and works great with alternate fingerings.
That's what I love about my old chanters and straight-cut reeds. I'm over 70 and will probably never play in a band,but do occasionally play with other musicians, so I'll keep on doing what IO've been doing.
Quote:

But the vast majority of pipers aren't playing 466 chanters, they're playing the new high-pitch wide-bore ones.

In any case as I've said playing High B is great for that tiny minority who know how to do it. My Hymn arrangements need to be aimed at the typical piper, I think.
Whatever works, old friend.