Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #11
jviss
Forum Member

Default Re: What's all this flap about flapper valves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Please letís me know where to get a vinyl flapper for $3.50.....
I don't know. The $3.50 flapper is rubber, the red kind.
jviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #12
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
I don't know. The $3.50 flapper is rubber, the red kind.
The problem with these is the lack of care in manufacture. Rough edges of the brass cut through the rubber over time if it didnít already come broken. I had one once where the brass was double folded so as not to put a hard edge on the rubber, but havenít been able to locate any more.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #13
jviss
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
The problem with these is the lack of care in manufacture. Rough edges of the brass cut through the rubber over time if it didnít already come broken. I had one once where the brass was double folded so as not to put a hard edge on the rubber, but havenít been able to locate any more.
How long are these expected to last?
jviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #14
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I remember clearly sitting at my father's knee as a boy of maybe 7 years, as he fashioned and fabricated his own leather flapper. Inheriting some of his piping stuff brought a flood of memories. Some were triggered by smells. "The sense of smell is closely linked with memory, probably more so than any of our other senses. Those with full olfactory function may be able to think of smells that evoke particular memories; the scent of an orchard in blossom conjuring up recollections of a childhood picnic, for example." Mine were triggered by the smell of R.G. Hardie's Airtight Bag Seasoning; there was an old tin of it among his stuff. They should produce a candle with this scent.
You're so correct about the sense of smell and memories; and I laughed when you mentioned Airtight, for I can smell it right now in reading your post, even though I haven't used it in decades.

The problem I had with a number of the earlier valves (Little Mac)--and, in fact, some of the blowpipes--was the restriction of air. Prior to some of the larger bore blowpipes (e.g., Airstream) that came on the market, I recall us boring out the ones that came with our pipes. The leather ones, as well as the red one you mentioned, didn't restrict, given that they weren't inserted. But it didn't make much difference if the blowpipe was like blowing through a narrow straw.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #15
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

When I started out, in the 1970s, it was the leather flapper from antiquity.

There's tricks about having some of the hemp come partway across, or making a little hemp bridle thing so that the flapper can't come too far open, or tying in a little strip of copper that you can bend to make the flapper behave.

No matter what you do when the leather dries out and gets stiff you're in trouble.

All species of bagpipes use some form of flapper (except for the ones where the valve is part of the bag) but for some reason other traditions have figured out how to do them better, like the Spanish and Bulgarian blowpipes being cut at an angle on the bottom, so the flapper behaves without having to resort to tricks.

Anyhow I used Lil' Macs for years, in my uilleann pipes too, but now I swear by the Moose valve. It's amazing. IMHO the only drawback to the Moose is that I remove it when seasoning the bag. It's a small hassle but worth it I think.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #16
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
How long are these expected to last?
10 seconds or many years. Depending on how much the person making it gave a shat. And luck.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #17
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post

10 seconds or many years. Depending on how much the person making it gave a shat. And luck
On a few Iíve taken several minutes to open the staple crimp and position the rubber flapper more ideally ..then appropriately re-crimped the staple.
Thinking about it...while I was at it,..I did all 5-6 in my stash so theyíre all tickety boo.

It only takes a few minutes ...worth the pleasure.

Hereís a thot for a poll....I always position my blowstick/flapper so the hinge is at 12 oíclock. ( I put a tiny indiscernible mark on the mount topside at the 12 to facilitate exact placement after a quick pour off ) ..my thot is the hinge will naturally fall down shut by gravity and is sealed by the air pressure .
Color me surprised when a SGRPM friend told me he always puts the hinge at 6 oíclock...thus only depending on the air pressure to flap it shut upwards. Maybe a matter of right way vs wrong way vs Army way.

Who here does which?....or nada...?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #18
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Who here does which?....or nada...?

I have been solemnly abjured to do both, and can't for the life of me detect a difference (see also chanter reed orientation, or which way drone reed blades face)
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #19
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

I don't care what the orientation, it works and that's it.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #20
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
I have been solemnly abjured to do both, and can't for the life of me detect a difference (see also chanter reed orientation, or which way drone reed blades face)

Now,..drone cord lengths and knots....thatís another whole issue...🥴
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote