Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Cleaning Brushes/Swabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWog View Post
Well Here ya go.. From a pipemaker of substance !!!

take from an article from pipemaker''s site.. note the words 'oil bath' in and out of oil bath.

We then polish all of the bores with very fine steel wool and give the entire set a good oil bath to get some moisture back into them. Once we take it out of the oil bath, we wipe the compete set down and let it sit for a day or so to allow the oil to dry.
While the oil is drying, we cleaned and polished up the ivory mounts and silver ferrules, rings and slides and also made a new mouthpiece as the old one was cracked.

Your turn ---- I can find more if you wish.

Willy
Interesting. Which maker is this? Id like to look at his site. Are there others?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #12
WillyWog
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Cleaning Brushes/Swabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Interesting. Which maker is this? Id like to look at his site. Are there others?
Well the line I posted below came from Dunbar.. Others are Ringo's Museum Site Atherton site. And on here too.. Type Oil bath in the search and read..

I'm not agree or disagreeing with the notion of oil bath or not. I am just looking for the right thing to do with the setoff pipes I get a while back that were a spare set of a pipe band that more than likely sat in the case for a long time and never looked after.

My humidity here in my mobile home is 20% temp is 72. So I am trying to get them so they don't crack..

Willy
WillyWog is offline   Reply With Quote