Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Neil Angus MacDonald, Barra

If you have seen "Tight Little Island" aka "Whisky Galore" then you must remember the scene where the piper plays for a foursome reel, or something like it. This is the piper, Neil Angus MacDonald.

I bought his book of tunes when it came out not knowing what it was. It turned out to be my first introduction to "Gaelic piping," for lack of a better term.
The old gentleman in the doorway is The Coddie, John MacPherson, a great story teller also from Barra. Compton MacKenzie wrote the novel the movie is based upon, and appeared in it as the Captain. Even though the story takes place in Eriskay, the movie was filmed in Barra.
Calum Johnston played at Compton MacKenzie's funeral, during which he caught a chill and never recovered. Neil Angus inherited Johnston's silver and ivory pipes.
Calum Johnston
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
William J Hunter
Forum Regular

Default Re: Neil Angus MacDonald, Barra

One of my favorite movies, which I finally got a copy of a few years ago, when it was made available in the states.
WJH
William J Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Jim McGillivray

Back in the 1980s when I was competing regularly at Inverness, we always stayed at the West End Hotel on Kenneth Street. Neil Angus and his wife Nan lived just across the road, and I got into the habit of visiting them every year. An absolutely lovely couple. His book is superb and quite neglected -- full of great little strathspeys, reels, slow airs.

There is a 6/8 march by Neil Angus in it called "Ann Fionghall MacDonald" that I liked quite a bit. I played it at the Northern Meeting ceilidh one evening and after I'd finished a woman came up to me just beaming and saying, "You played my tune! You played my tune!" It was Ann herself. She was Neil Angus's daughter of course, and she had never heard her tune played by anyone but her father. I'm not sure to this day I've ever received a more joyful response to anything I've played.

JM
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dally View Post
If you have seen "Tight Little Island" aka "Whisky Galore" then you must remember the scene where the piper plays for a foursome reel, or something like it. This is the piper, Neil Angus MacDonald.

I bought his book of tunes when it came out not knowing what it was. It turned out to be my first introduction to "Gaelic piping," for lack of a better term.
The old gentleman in the doorway is The Coddie, John MacPherson, a great story teller also from Barra. Compton MacKenzie wrote the novel the movie is based upon, and appeared in it as the Captain. Even though the story takes place in Eriskay, the movie was filmed in Barra.
Calum Johnston played at Compton MacKenzie's funeral, during which he caught a chill and never recovered. Neil Angus inherited Johnston's silver and ivory pipes.
Calum Johnston
Zo... R G Hardie pipes in the picture above?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Zo... R G Hardie pipes in the picture above?
Doubt it - Bob Hardie didn't make his first set of pipes until about 1949 or 1950 and is owned (and has been from new) by Iain MacFadyen. Pipes in the photo look very similar to my 1890s Henderson's.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Joe Baker
Forum Silver Medal

Does this book have a name? Thanks
Joe Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
DanC
Forum Regular

It's called "New Bagpipe Collection of Old and Traditional Settings"

Good luck finding it though... (if you find two, let me know)
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
Joe Baker
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks, Dan. I'll keep you posted!

Joe B.
Joe Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald

Luckily that book was one of the many i bought as a younster for that One single tune, resulting in a pile which are now about 3 .5 ft in height As I recall the main reel that is played is Mrs MacLeod of Raasay

Last edited by John MacDonald; 12-17-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: addition
John MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
farleyer
Forum Regular

Hi
This might be an early Christmas present for Joe Baker and Danc I got a copy of that book from the link below.

All the best.

http://www.piobmhor.dircon.co.uk/pio.../pipeband.html
farleyer is offline   Reply With Quote