Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #1
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default Molded reeds going the way of the Dodo?

Doing the usual inventory and updating of things, have casually looked at chanter reeds and other chanters out of curiosity.

Seems a few years ago (~5-10) where some reed makers in the past had both ridge cut and molded reeds, now only make a ridge cut. Others that were always ridge cut have updated their designs or/and offering other versions. Is this a newer trend because of the release of the latest batch of new chanters (Henderson, RMJ, Cel, Gandy etc)?

When I started a bit over 10 years ago the ridge cut were more intended as band reeds as they settled in a little quicker and had a brighter sound but perhaps weren't as 'sweet' or long lasting. The molded were more traditional with a 'thicker/rounder' tone good for solo playing and getting a long life out of your chanter reed. Seems a lot trickier now to find a Troy reed for example (without going direct to JMT) which I really liked in my McC2 (and a lot more convenient adding to other purchases from my favorite piping outlets).

Is the change from a market of molded and ridge cut reeds to predominantly ridge cut a perceived reality or is this an acknowledged thing?
Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Molded reeds going the way of the Dodo?

There's a Caldwell ridge cut in my band chanter, a Gandy McCallum, which has been going for nearly 2 years and still is loud and bright at 480. I've had a molded Gilmour in my other set in a Dunbar Eller chanter playing at 470 and it's at least 4 years old. But does this prove anything?
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

I've never cared for ridge cuts..they sound chirpy on gracings and lack depth..but I get why bands go for them..they require less skill to get an in tune high A..I can always tell if a band is playing ridge cuts..but I don't think moulded reeds will disappear.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:02 AM   #4
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post
There's a Caldwell ridge cut in my band chanter, a Gandy McCallum, which has been going for nearly 2 years and still is loud and bright at 480. I've had a molded Gilmour in my other set in a Dunbar Eller chanter playing at 470 and it's at least 4 years old. But does this prove anything?
Probably doesn't, but maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
I've never cared for ridge cuts..they sound chirpy on gracings and lack depth..but I get why bands go for them..they require less skill to get an in tune high A..I can always tell if a band is playing ridge cuts..but I don't think moulded reeds will disappear.
They both have their pros and cons. Molded certainly take a while to settle in whereas the ridge cut I've been playing around with seem to be more "free" from the get go. Lots of variables though.

Which read makers still make molded though is the question. Troy, Gilmour, McPhee, Shepherd (classic version), Apps, Abbott?
Old 05-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
Loud-one
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

What is the oldest reed you have ever kept in use and what style was it? I was
issued a reed with 5-05 wrote on it.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post

I can always tell if a band is playing ridge cuts...
But,...I can always tell what brand.....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud-one View Post
What is the oldest reed you have ever kept in use and what style was it? I was
issued a reed with 5-05 wrote on it.
Wow. Impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
But,...I can always tell what brand.....
Okay this I need to know more about