Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #21
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Balance Tone Drone Reeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinson View Post
I've been using a set of Balance Tone reeds for a couple days. How do I get rid of the tenor squeal after cut offs?
Might be just adjusting to how much air to squeeze out at the cutoff. Are you playing a large bag by chance?

I've been playing the regular Balance Tones for a while now and really am growing to love them, tenors especially. They can "trail off" a bit though if you stop after a normal squeeze cycle without continuing to squeeze until the bag is truly deflated. I play an extended small hybrid now and this isn't too much trouble but if you play something like an extended medium or large you'll probably want to really squeeze out that air for an additional 2-3 seconds before coming to a full stop. Other option is to install the Achiltibuie valves so you don't need as much control. Great reeds.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #22
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinson View Post
I've been using a set of Balance Tone reeds for a couple days. How do I get rid of the tenor squeal after cut offs?
That was one of my issues with them. They made noise with very little air in the bag. (I had the same problem with Kinnairds, just btw). Strike ins were very easy, though I had to rapidly inflate the bag between strike in and E, since I had to start with the bag 1/2 full, if you see what I mean. On the other end of a set, I had to really squeeze the air out of the bag to not get any drone noises. I'm not knocking the reeds, they were really the reeds "I wanted to like," and I can see from reading through posts on here that different pipers get different results with different reeds in different pipes - and different bags. They also used more air than I was comfortable with, though a lot of the comments suggest they are very efficient, so go figure (I calibrate my reeds well, so it wasn't that). I ended up selling them, though I did like the sound, and ease of adjustability. So it might be they're not the best match for your pipes, or that you just have to play them a bit and get a feel for how they behave, if they're different from the reeds you had last.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #23
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

I you can get clean cut offs with these reeds you'll have mastered the "cut-off" for all reeds

Adjusting the aperture may help a bit, but they are very air efficient and sometimes this is a hangup. In the end, as mentioned already, just empty the bag and extra 2 seconds. Its a good habit anyway. Keeps us sharp ;)

I like these reeds a lot and even though my Jeffers have ezee tenors in them, I come back to these when my ears get bored and I want to enjoy a different tenor sound for a season.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:59 AM   #24
Søren E. Larsen
Forum Silver Medal

Hi,

To be honest, I think that Balance Tone reeds just give too much buzz from the tenor drones. What you want is a sweet tone off your tenors and a bit of buzz and much depth from the bass drone. So use Ezeedrone (or the like) tenor reeds and a carbon fiber bass reed. You might still use the Balance Tone bass reed, but I think it still has too much buzz (aka metalic sound).
Old 09-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #25
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Søren E. Larsen View Post
Hi,

To be honest, I think that Balance Tone reeds just give too much buzz from the tenor drones. What you want is a sweet tone off your tenors and a bit of buzz and much depth from the bass drone. So use Ezeedrone (or the like) tenor reeds and a carbon fiber bass reed. You might still use the Balance Tone bass reed, but I think it still has too much buzz (aka metalic sound).
Its funny... I never really tinkered too, too much with cane reeds, but when I did, I always heard a reedy, buzzy sound. Why have we gotten away from this with synthetic reeds? Why is the buzz no longer desirable to so many?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #26
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Søren E. Larsen View Post
I think this description very much depends on the bagpipe they are installed in though.

Regular Balance Tone tenors for me have certainly been brighter with more overtones than Ezeedrone tenors. However, in my pipes Ezeedrones are also noticeably dark, more 'singular' in tone, and a bit nasally (either just tenors, just inverted bass, or the whole set together) where the Balance Tone sound more open with a distinct upper octave that goes well against my chanters. In my past Henderson type pipes I probably would not have chosen Balance Tone tenors for example because the drones themselves were very upfront already and this probably would have been grating to the ear. In my MacDougall reproductions the tenors have a very nice blended smoothness to them already that works very well with the Balance Tone tenors and are more dull with the Ezeedrone. As you're mentioning I prefer carbon fiber bass reeds for their smoothness, depth and some upper harmonic crackling or 'clacking' for lack of a better word. Crackle to me is what I think of and look for in bass reeds, it's one of my favorite aspects of cane. I've found Kinnaird Original, Henderson Deluxe and MG go well in my pipes for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murry View Post
Its funny... I never really tinkered too, too much with cane reeds, but when I did, I always heard a reedy, buzzy sound. Why have we gotten away from this with synthetic reeds? Why is the buzz no longer desirable to so many?
I wonder this at times as well. In the same way that bass drones with buzz provide depth I think the buzz in all of the reeds can be/is more depth over other reeds like Ezees that are more mono and in the background in my opinion (both are great just depends what you are after). I do like the subtle ring that Ezeedrones give off though, they're certainly still great reeds so please don't get the impression that I think they're boring or bad from these comments. Far from it.

When I did the blind drone reed comparison no one chose the reeds that genuinely sounded like cane, or even chose the actual cane reeds themselves. Perhaps the buzz that cane and others give off is a bit fatiguing in the same way that higher pitch can be fatiguing to some pipers. Again, there's probably no right or wrong it's just a preference. The best part about synthetic drone reeds is you can really make your drones sound however you please. I found combinations that made my drones sound like Glens against my chanters, very haunting and singular. I also found sets that sounded bold like some Lawrie sets. Personally I find that I like a balance between the some buzz and depth while being blended and 'rolling' as I think of it.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #27
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
I think this description very much depends on the bagpipe they are installed in though.

Regular Balance Tone tenors for me have certainly been brighter with more overtones than Ezeedrone tenors. However, in my pipes Ezeedrones are also noticeably dark, more 'singular' in tone, and a bit nasally (either just tenors, just inverted bass, or the whole set together) where the Balance Tone sound more open with a distinct upper octave that goes well against my chanters. In my past Henderson type pipes I probably would not have chosen Balance Tone tenors for example because the drones themselves were very upfront already and this probably would have been grating to the ear. In my MacDougall reproductions the tenors have a very nice blended smoothness to them already that works very well with the Balance Tone tenors and are more dull with the Ezeedrone. As you're mentioning I prefer carbon fiber bass reeds for their smoothness, depth and some upper harmonic crackling or 'clacking' for lack of a better word. Crackle to me is what I think of and look for in bass reeds, it's one of my favorite aspects of cane. I've found Kinnaird Original, Henderson Deluxe and MG go well in my pipes for this.

I wonder this at times as well. In the same way that bass drones with buzz provide depth I think the buzz in all of the reeds can be/is more depth over other reeds like Ezees that are more mono and in the background in my opinion (both are great just depends what you are after). I do like the subtle ring that Ezeedrones give off though, they're certainly still great reeds so please don't get the impression that I think they're boring or bad from these comments. Far from it.

When I did the blind drone reed comparison no one chose the reeds that genuinely sounded like cane, or even chose the actual cane reeds themselves. Perhaps the buzz that cane and others give off is a bit fatiguing in the same way that higher pitch can be fatiguing to some pipers. Again, there's probably no right or wrong it's just a preference. The best part about synthetic drone reeds is you can really make your drones sound however you please. I found combinations that made my drones sound like Glens against my chanters, very haunting and singular. I also found sets that sounded bold like some Lawrie sets. Personally I find that I like a balance between the some buzz and depth while being blended and 'rolling' as I think of it.
Well said. Thanks.