Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
mpage
Forum Regular

Default Leather Pipe Bag Tie-in Issue

Greetings all,
So my dilemma is what are some tips/tricks to help stretch the leather a bit around the drone stock holes to alleviate tearing when tying in the stocks. I just returned a new Gannaway hide pipe bag that tore at each of the stock locations, minus the chanter. I dampened each hole with water to allow for a bit of give, but no dice. Possibly the leather wasn’t as good on that particular bag. My pipes are a custom built set and the stock dimensions may be a bit larger, but not by much.
Any ideas are appreciated before my replacement arrives next week.
Cheers,
Mike
mpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
BGP
Forum Regular

Default Re: Leather Pipe Bag Tie-in Issue

Were they good and soaked? The leather needs to be wet right through to stretch.
BGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
mpage
Forum Regular

I had thought so. I’ll have to make sure on the next one. Since my stocks may be slightly larger in diameter I may trim (very carefully!) the holes slightly larger.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Make a leather punch out of a copper t-joint by filing the edge sharp and use that to recut the holes if they’re too small. Pick a diameter of tubing a little smaller than your stocks.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
Make a leather punch out of a copper t-joint by filing the edge sharp and use that to recut the holes if they’re too small. Pick a diameter of tubing a little smaller than your stocks.
This works well, here's a picture of one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpage View Post
Greetings all,
I just returned a new Gannaway hide pipe bag that tore at each of the stock locations, minus the chanter. I dampened each hole with water to allow for a bit of give, but no dice. Possibly the leather wasn’t as good on that particular bag. My pipes are a custom built set and the stock dimensions may be a bit larger, but not by much.
These aren't by chance MacLellans are they? When I owned a set the stocks (and actually the sticks themselves) were beefy and was super difficult to get them into bags. I also tore the Gannaways I owned at the time.

I found wetting the cutouts of the Gannaways considerably and kneading the edges with my fingers around the lip helped stretch, warm, and loosen them up before hand. Was still a PITA especially with that set.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
mpage
Forum Regular

My pipes are a custom set turned by my friend Ross Morrill of Morrill Bagpipes here in Utah. They’re plain turned with no beading just minimal combing. So there’s nothing to get hung up on when inserting the stocks. They’re just a touch bigger at the base than more traditional sets. I’ll measure the holes on the new bag and most likely make a punch to cut a larger hole. Plus soak the bag a good deal to help stretch.
Thanks for the ideas!
Old 09-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
DapperDan
Forum Regular

I did my first tie-in several months ago, with the close guidance of a very experienced piper. It was a sheep bag, no pre-cut holes. We traced the holes and cut them out with a razor blade (or exacto knife, I forget) - if a hole was too tight, after softening it up with water, I just trimmed away tiny slivers with the knife, careful not to start a tear, until the stocks fit - but still quite snug. I was advised to definitely not initially cut the hole bigger than the circle I traced (I think we used a quarter) because it could be enlarged, but not shrunk. The stocks are still in snug, no issues. Maybe see what Gannaway recommends though.
I guess it's a high-stakes moment to take a knife to a new bag, I wouldn't want to sneeze just then. I was glad when the project was done.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:36 AM   #8
farleyer
Forum Regular

Why not have Ross take a mm or so of the stocks, I doubt that would harm the tone.
farleyer is offline   Reply With Quote