Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
johnsog
Forum Regular

Default Trigger finger surgery

I am scheduled for trigger finger release surgery in early October and am wondering how recovery will affect my piping. I think I've timed it for a time span between major gigs but am curious as to what others have experienced in recovery from this.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
ghbpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: trigger finger surgery

Hi,

My wife has had surgery on two fingers in the past. While she is not a piper, her finger movement is not significantly affected.

Playing the pipes involves keeping the fingers straight and lifting the fingers off and on the chanter. Her fingers have returned to a normal "straightness" so that aspect should not be a worry.

She reckons that the after effects of the operation will probably last no longer than a few weeks. Probably exercising the fingers as in playing the chanter will only have beneficial affects.

John
Max-Dry Systems

http://max-dry.com/
ghbpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
Lightningstorms
Forum Regular

I had trigger surgery the year after I started on pipes (was my computer mouse roller wheel finger), and it has been completely successful, no recurrence, and I was back on the PC within a few days after suture removal. They released one of the sheaths which was obstructing my movement on E.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningstorms View Post
I had trigger surgery the year after I started on pipes (was my computer mouse roller wheel finger), and it has been completely successful, no recurrence, and I was back on the PC within a few days after suture removal. They released one of the sheaths which was obstructing my movement on E.
You are left handed?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
johnsog
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningstorms View Post
How long were your stitches in? I was told three weeks before they come out. I'm not looking forward to going without playing for so long but it needs to be done.
Thanks, all, for the encouragement!!
Old 08-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
MM72

Default Re: Trigger finger surgery

I've had 3 trigger finger surgeries (and two wrist tendon releases, sigh).
My last two trigger finger releases were done last December, right in the middle of Christmas Parade season.
I was told to rest for "at least" 48 hours. So I did, and played exactly 48 and 72 hours after each surgery. Stitches still in, dressing falling off.
The first one (right middle) I had done (and played 48 hours afterwards) healed brilliantly.
The second one was dodgy from the beginning. I bruised extensively and that finger is still stiff (left index). Don't believe it was anything to do with playing though, as the surgery was much more difficult and took twice as long as the first one. Bizarrely, the triggering hurt less than the R middle and so was put off until the R middle was healed.
Stitches came out after 10 days, both incisions were thoroughly healed after 7 days though.
I am clever enough to have an inflammatory arthritis that attacks my tendon insertions, which is why the repeated issues.
MM72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
johnsog
Forum Regular

Wow, you've been through a lot!! I'm glad you can still play. It's encouraging to hear that you were able to play again soon and still heal well. Our hands do take a beating, don't they?! I'm a teacher for the Deaf as well as an interpreter so I spend a good part of my day signing. I've had various types of tendonitis in my wrists as well as other overuse injuries and now this. Playing the pipes is a nice change of fine motor action. Good luck to you with your arthritis!!
Old 09-02-2017, 02:42 AM   #8
MM72

I hope your surgery goes smoothly. Mostly they do, I believe. With all my tendon releases (except L index finger) I have felt such tremendous relief afterwards, and twice my arthritis has abated all over (for only two days on one occasion, but I'll take what I can get!!).
Hope you are back piping ASAP.
MM72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
milwiron
Forum Regular

I have trigger finger in my "F" finger. I can still unlock it but mornings are the worst time of the day and I can only unlock it by sort of squeezing and uncurling my finger. Cortisone has worked for about 60 days... watching the needle go in to my palm is almost worse than having trigger finger. I'm sure surgery for me isn't too far out.

Best of luck with your surgery and God speed. Please let us know how it works out for you.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
johnsog
Forum Regular

Thanks for the encouragement, all!! I'm scheduled for surgery in two weeks and am trying to focus on the positives rather than the temporary inconveniences of having my mostly-dominant hand swathed in a bandage. If will be nice to have good use of all my digits again!! I'll post the follow up. Blessings to you all!!