Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors
View Poll Results: Full Reed Set
A 10 45.45%
B 3 13.64%
C 3 13.64%
D 3 13.64%
E 1 4.55%
F 3 13.64%
G 2 9.09%
H 0 0%
I 1 4.55%
J 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: A/B drone reed comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post

C Armstrong X-Treme
Well I’ll be, how is that for coincidence? I really like the x-treme bass and the tenors are none too shabby either.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'll listen and try to not look at the list of brand names...confirmation bias and all that...
Old 06-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #13
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Well I’ll be, how is that for coincidence? I really like the x-treme bass and the tenors are none too shabby either.
And just for clarification, I did not know which was which, even though they’re hosted on my site, prior to William’s divulging post above. Promise
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
Triskele
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Bought some Selbies on a whim after reading about them. Haven't had a chance to play them yet. The recording and poll makes me feel pretty good about my purchase though
Triskele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #15
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I enjoy knowing a whole picture not leaving a stone un-turned. This will probably bore most but I tested the combinations of these reeds with pairs of tenors settled, rotating in bass reeds. Tenors that to me were either too 'dark', too 'brash', consumed too much air, overly sensitive to pressure etc weren't recorded. For me this eliminated Canning, Crozier cane, MG, G1 cane. Bass I eliminated Canning poly, Redwood, and Ezee regular.

5 sets of tenors and 7 bass left which resulted in 35 clips. Editing audio is the longest part of this process honestly and overall pretty straightforward. Listening back several times as a random playlist, without looking, the results are then easy to filter off the list. As I recorded these I made quick notes about air efficiency and pressure fluctuations on a piece of paper that I quickly made into a spreadsheet for ease. The combination of these two shows themes emerging that you can see below.

I've narrowed it down so far to:

Armstrong + Kinnaird
Ezeedrone + Kinnaird
Selbie + Armstrong
Selbie + Ezeedrone
Selbie + Kinnaird

There are a couple other combinations that were close but for one reason or another just aren't going to work out.

I've also traded and gotten a set of Henderson Harmonic Deluxe, Canning carbon bass, and by a gracious offer from Terry Auckland a set of his reeds, all on the way this next week to try. After this, I believe I will be satisfied (hope?).
Old 06-26-2019, 06:21 AM   #16
Hurmmark

Quote:
I enjoy knowing a whole picture not leaving a stone un-turned. This will probably bore most but I tested the combinations of these reeds with pairs of tenors settled, rotating in bass reeds. Tenors that to me were either too 'dark', too 'brash', consumed too much air, overly sensitive to pressure etc weren't recorded. For me this eliminated Canning, Crozier cane, MG, G1 cane. Bass I eliminated Canning poly, Redwood, and Ezee regular.

5 sets of tenors and 7 bass left which resulted in 35 clips. Editing audio is the longest part of this process honestly and overall pretty straightforward. Listening back several times as a random playlist, without looking, the results are then easy to filter off the list. As I recorded these I made quick notes about air efficiency and pressure fluctuations on a piece of paper that I quickly made into a spreadsheet for ease. The combination of these two shows themes emerging that you can see below.

I've narrowed it down so far to:

Armstrong + Kinnaird

Ezeedrone + Kinnaird

Selbie + Armstrong

Selbie + Ezeedrone

Selbie + Kinnaird

There are a couple other combinations that were close but for one reason or another just aren't going to work out.

I've also traded and gotten a set of Henderson Harmonic Deluxe, Canning carbon bass, and by a gracious offer from Terry Auckland a set of his reeds, all on the way this next week to try. After this, I believe I will be satisfied (hope?).

I actually enjoyed your post, Not sure the meanings behind “dark” “harsh” too much air is a minus correct. I use selbie in the tenors and a cane in the base on my Maccallum Pipes. But think all 3 should be of one type—-manufacturer? Do you disagree?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2019, 11:13 PM   #17
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurmmark View Post
I actually enjoyed your post
Thanks!

Quote:
Not sure the meanings behind “dark” “harsh” too much air is a minus correct. I use selbie in the tenors and a cane in the base on my Maccallum Pipes. But think all 3 should be of one type—-manufacturer? Do you disagree?
What I meant by mentioning 'dark' is essentially the opposite of what makers say is 'bright'. Bright tenors (at least to me) have that 'zing' or 'electricity' or maybe a complexity to them. To me when I say 'dark' it's not negative it's just more that the reeds are come off as subdued, toned down, more background singular sound/less complex. Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #18
Hurmmark

Quote:
Thanks!

What I meant by mentioning 'dark' is essentially the opposite of what makers say is 'bright'. Bright tenors (at least to me) have that 'zing' or 'electricity' or maybe a complexity to them. To me when I say 'dark' it's not negative it's just more that the reeds are come off as subdued, toned down, more background singular sound/less complex. Hope this helps.
It did thank you. The drones certainly have their own language and I have to the point in my playing, as I strike in the drones I let them go for a couple of seconds not only to check the balance but to indulge the audience in the warm glow of the drones.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:09 AM   #19
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I believe I have completed my work on this.

It started as a simple weekend idea to see what I like most in my pipes from few reeds I've collected over the years. It turned into a several week project that has been an interesting journey. I have 103 one minute recordings which covers most of the main drone reed makes on the market as well their combinations (set of tenors to every other bass). Some combinations naturally clash. Some pull me out of my thoughts and are phenomenal.

There are a couple of drone reeds I have yet to try namely Kelt and Crozier Carbon Fibre, if you have a decent set of used reeds of either make above and are interested in a trade and/or sale you're welcome to PM. I'll be adding a set of Balance Tone High Resonance to the recordings shortly.

Quote:
It did thank you. The drones certainly have their own language and I have to the point in my playing, as I strike in the drones I let them go for a couple of seconds not only to check the balance but to indulge the audience in the warm glow of the drones.
Yes they do. It's almost a fine art.