Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Default Can anyone identify this tune, please?

Hope this doesnít breach any rules, but I heard this tune on a YouTube video and would like to track down the title, and ideally the author and (assuming itís published) which book contains it... Iíd like to buy the music and learn the tune.

This should link to my Onedrive file

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvudJFQE1vi8koJ3mHpPArHIAGzJEA

Hopefully someone recognises it (although I suspect it may be played somewhat altered from the original)

Thanks in anticipation
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Can anyone identify this tune, please?

Sandy’s New Chanter

Here’s where you can find it:
https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/tune...bmit&fuzzy=Yes
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Patrick, youíre a gent, many thanks.

Coincidentally I bought a couple of Bob Mathiesonís books only a few weeks ago and have the tune on my knee now, thanks to your steer 👍

Iím happy to search for tunes and buy music for same but I have no idea how to determine titles (usually the best field to search in) when all I have is glorious sound in my ears.... I'm aware of search engines which will take an mp3 clip and throw out the answer but the ones Iíve tried seem to work well enough for commercial chart music but if only they would work for pipe music 🤔

I have a shelf full of music books but my sight reading is inadequate to pull a melody straight from the dots.... Iím sure I have hundreds of great tunes waiting to be discovered... maybe thatís where I should focus.

Thanks again for such a quick and helpful response
Old 06-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

Hey Steve,

Where's the recording from? I know this tune and it's one of my favorites but I've never heard a pipe band perform it.

Just curious. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2019, 01:57 AM   #5
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Hi Peter,

I fell over it on YouTube.... World Champions 2017, Inverary & District Pipe Band march-off at the end of the day (haven’t yet worked out how to link to the URL, sorry).

It’s the second tune of a pair they played to march off... first time through there’s a lot of crowd cheering but they have a halfway stop/don’t stop and carry on again when it’s a lot cleaner.

I expect G1 bands to play in unison during a contest, but totally in awe of the way they stay synchronised despite odd players dropping in and out with the crowd...the beat stays rock solid throughout.
Simply stunning :-)

Last edited by Steve Law; 06-25-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:50 PM   #6
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

Steve,

Thanks for that info - with that I think I found the video you're talking about - or at least a recording of the same march off

https://youtu.be/xlLToRheRJA?t=84