Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Game of Thrones 4-part arrangement on the highland pipes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
r

Always wondered about this ....before or after the performance?

What if the performer ‘forgets’....either way?

Those agency guys must be pretty busy....
Technically, one would need to make any necessary arrangements prior to the performance with the copyright holder or his agent (to do anything else is infringement excepting various uses permitted under the law). There's no reason a rights agency couldn't execute a contract with a performer to allow said performer to play anything from the catalog anywhere.

In practice in the USA, the agencies only deal with (and sue) venues, not artists.

Interesting thing about Youtube. They've worked out contracts with some of the big music publishers. No one knows the details. But all those fan videos where someone posts, say, Pink Floyd playing something, with a photo of the album artwork are covered by these contracts. What happens is youtube plays ads and youtube and the publisher split the royalties.

But it's different with people who have monetized channels. If Rick Beato, for instance, uses a clip of Pink Floyd, the publisher will have the video taken down and/or claim the revenue. Even if it's just a few seconds in a 20 minute video. He, and a variety of other youtubers, have posted rants about it recently. No one seems to understand why.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
The pipe tune came 50 years before the vocal was written. As far as anything is "correct" it's the pipe tune.
Fair point. From what I had (mistakingly) been told, the melody came first, but according to Wikipedia, the earliest known version was from 1911 in a pipe tune book, so yes, I would imagine that version would fit our range as well.
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #13
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

https://digital.nls.uk/special-colle...hive/105824232

This is the first known publication (early 1890s). It seems to have been well known as a song air and military band marching tune well before that time, with essentially the melody Hanley used.

It is apparently mentioned frequently in newspapers in the latter half of the 19th century in a context that suggests it was a well known melody at that time.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #14
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

There are three issue with copyrighted music:
Publishing or distributing copies of the sheet music without permission of the coyright holder is illegal…period.

( Example, years ago i arranged one of Bill Staines' songs for a middle school choir. I got his permission first)

For Performance, as mentioned above, it's the venue's reponsibility to pay royalties, usually through one of the performance rights organizations such as ASCAP, BMI, etc.

Recordings general have two copyrights the copyright covers the original work/composition and the copyright covers the recorded performance. If yoiu were to make copies of recordings and distribute them, you would be violating both copyrights, whether or not you received any payment for the bootlegged recordings.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:40 AM   #15
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post

For Performance, as mentioned above, it's the venue's reponsibility to pay royalties, usually through one of the performance rights organizations such as ASCAP, BMI, etc.
In practice that's generally true, but if I wrote a tune and I wasn't a member of any rights organization and if you performed without my permission it would be you infringing on my copyright and I could theoretically sue you. There are two large carve outs in the law in the USA. 1) If no one is getting any money (like you go down to the park and just start playing) then there's no infringement. 2) If it's a worship service then no performance clearance is ever necessary. There is a third one that applies to non-profit organizations in some situations.

Quote:

Recordings general have two copyrights the copyright covers the original work/composition and the copyright covers the recorded performance. If you were to make copies of recordings and distribute them, you would be violating both copyrights, whether or not you received any payment for the bootlegged recordings.
Under US law, unless they sign away their rights, each performer owns copyright on his own performance. In some states, even making a recording is a copyright infringement if you don't have permission. Every youtube video of a pipe band performance is copyright infringement if each person in the band didn't give permission. But if it's a work for hire (like a studio musician) then the employer owns the copyright and not the performer.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:49 AM   #16
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
https://digital.nls.uk/special-colle...hive/105824232

This is the first known publication (early 1890s). It seems to have been well known as a song air and military band marching tune well before that time, with essentially the melody Hanley used.

It is apparently mentioned frequently in newspapers in the latter half of the 19th century in a context that suggests it was a well known melody at that time.
Cool!

I had to type that into Sibelius to be able to hear it, but yeah, it does sound like the song. Interesting that it gives both titles (Scotland Forever and also Brave Scotland)
Old 04-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #17
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Every youtube video of a pipe band performance is copyright infringement if each person in the band didn't give permission.

True but YouTube policy is to remove videos that violate copyright, so if the video is up for very long chances are that it's there with approval.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #18
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Well, for those interested, I posted my bagpipe/chanter arrangement of "Jenny of Oldstones" earlier today: https://youtu.be/lv0fBFjHVJA
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #19
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Willis Bagpiper View Post
Well, for those interested, I posted my bagpipe/chanter arrangement of "Jenny of Oldstones" earlier today: https://youtu.be/lv0fBFjHVJA
Both covers I thoroughly enjoyed! A fine way to get into the mood before the Battle of Winterfell. Now to emotionally prepare for the likely event that beloved character of mine will meet an untimely end...

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:53 AM   #20
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
True but YouTube policy is to remove videos that violate copyright, so if the video is up for very long chances are that it's there with approval.
That just means no one's complained. There could easily be videos of any one of us playing that we're not even aware of. And there could be videos of people performing that the performers would prefer to have taken down but they're not aware they have the power.