Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
super8mm
Forum Member

Default Small Pipe Chanter Reed

I have a set of bellows blown FM small pipes with a cane chanter reed and was having a very hard time trying to get it to play.

I saw a clip where it was mentioned that on GHB pipes with cane reeds you can mouth blow the reed a bit to add moisture to soften it up. So I pulled the chanter and mouth blew the chanter for about 5 minutes and put it back and it was so much nicer to play.

Now the puzzling part am I going to have to do this every time I want to play these so it will add some moisture or will it take care of itself over time?
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Small Pipe Chanter Reed

Sounds like the reed has opened making it harder to play and your moisture is weakening it enough to make it playable. I would not continue with what youíre currently doing. They should play with little effort and no daily manipulation.

Nate Bantonís videos on reed manipulation are very useful:

http://bantonwoodson.com/maintenance
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I will also be in Bedford, TX this Saturday for my sonís gymnastics competition. I may have some time to kill in the early afternoon should you like to get together. My contact info is on my homepage.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
super8mm
Forum Member

Thanks
Old 12-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by super8mm View Post
I have a set of bellows blown FM small pipes with a cane chanter reed and was having a very hard time trying to get it to play.

I saw a clip where it was mentioned that on GHB pipes with cane reeds you can mouth blow the reed a bit to add moisture to soften it up. So I pulled the chanter and mouth blew the chanter for about 5 minutes and put it back and it was so much nicer to play.

Now the puzzling part am I going to have to do this every time I want to play these so it will add some moisture or will it take care of itself over time?
Everything I've ever read says to never mouth blow an SSP chanter reed, unless you want to screw it up. Some ambient humidity is another thing - I think SSP reeds tend to be more stable and consistent when they're kept somewhere around "normal" humidity - maybe 30-60%, but not sure about that.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Walton View Post
Everything I've ever read says to never mouth blow an SSP chanter reed, unless you want to screw it up. Some ambient humidity is another thing - I think SSP reeds tend to be more stable and consistent when they're kept somewhere around "normal" humidity - maybe 30-60%, but not sure about that.
That has been my experience. If you need to test it by mouth, its better to suck air through the reed by the staple. If it has dried and opened up, you can add some humidity by playing in the bathroom with the shower running for a few minutes. If none of that helps, a wee tweak of the bridle, to close it down a hair, should work.

Good luck sorting it out.
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
super8mm
Forum Member

Thanks guys, I did work on the bridle a small bit and it made a big difference