Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Lochie
Forum Regular

Default High B and C natural suggestions?

Hi folks,
I recently purchased a very lovely set of Kinnear smallpipes in the key of C, which completed my sets of A and D.
The bonus is they came with a chanter keyed for C nat and high D. I'm from the GHB community originally, and no stranger to the difference between the 2 instruments, and a member of the LBPS.
So my question is, what tunes do you suggest I use to help me transition to the use of said keys ?
Slow airs a bonus as I fathom the new handiwork...and popular session tunes an added bonus....
Thanks in advance,
Lochie...
The keyed up piper.
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
aphillips
Forum Member

Default Re: High B and C nat suggestions ?

There are plenty of tunes in Matt Seattle's book - Geordie Sym's Paircel of Tunes!
aphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:18 AM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I'm a bit confused- did you mean a key for C natural and high B in bagpipe notation? That would be E flat and High D in concert notation. If that's the case, there are many tunes that use one or the other. The C natural would open up a number of tunes in the minor key (Am) to play with drones in the correct pitch for a change.

The first tune I learned with a high B was "The Lark In The Clear Air" which I picked up from the playing of Gordon Mooney.

I wholeheartedly agree with aphillips' suggestion.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #4
Lochie
Forum Regular

Sorry, yes...I meant high B...
In GHB terminology....
I appreciate the suggestions so far.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Default Re: High B and C natural suggestions?

Off the top of my head, Brenda Stubbert's reel and The Thatcher both use E-flat (C-nat), What would you do with a Drunken Sailor as well.

Come By The Hills is a nice air that uses high D (high B).

Have fun,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

MacArthur Road, if you can find a setting in A mixolydian, has 1 high B in the second part that makes the whole part work. Great reel. Iíve been trying to figure out the best alternative for limited pipes for a month now.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Lots of tunes we pipers play have a high B when sung or played on other instruments-
Ye Banks and Braes Of Bonny Doon, Will Ye Go To Flanders/The Harp That Once through Tara's Halls, Auld Lang Syne, God Bless America are just a few, off the top of my head. There are a bunch of others I play, but they also have a high G# ( They're in A major).
Old 09-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #8
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think the best solution to MacArthur Road is to take those initial phrases down a bit: fA ~A2 fAgA | fAgd | e2 ef edBd etc. Or if playing with others, just play the low B and let someone else take care of the high note; it'll still work.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Pikeman’s march, the non-ghb version though still A dorian, has a C nat. You could also play the most common An Dro in NOT B minor, but down 2 semitones in A minor, thus also utilizing the C nat; yes I realize the B minor against A drones is idiomatic but it’s starting to drive me nuts. Thus it would be:

ABcB Ae etc.

Instead of:

Bc#dc# Bf etc.

Having just tried it, do a google search of “Ador site:thesession.org” and it will come up with a bunch of tunes that utilize the C nat, preserve the F#, but still end on the tonic A for consonace with the drones. A lot will be outside the scale even with the high B but if you rummage around long enough you’ll find some good tunes.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
Lochie
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your help, I now have lots to work with.
Cheers