Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Teacher's Lounge
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Teacher's Lounge Pedagogy - the art or profession of teaching

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #11
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Left handed student

I've played left handed for more than 30 years and it has never been a problem. Right hand on top, bag under right arm.

The keep it symmetrical and massed band arguments have nothing to do with music and really are not a problem to the player.

There should be no cost difference, sticks and stocks are the same and most bags are available left handed or if going hide you just cut it left handed.

Paul.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #12
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
I've played left handed for more than 30 years and it has never been a problem. Right hand on top, bag under right arm.

The keep it symmetrical and massed band arguments have nothing to do with music and really are not a problem to the player.

There should be no cost difference, sticks and stocks are the same and most bags are available left handed or if going hide you just cut it left handed.

Paul.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that music is compromised with left-handed playing. As I said, the band member we had who was forced to switch hands (although he did not switch bag side) was a brilliant piper. And if the student in question is a soloist, go for it.

Whether others agree or not, in a band setting, I, as P/M, would be irritated with a left-handed player in the ranks; in part for the lack of uniformity (which applies to more than just clothing) and for function (e.g., a routine where the pipers will pass each other on a right shoulder cross).

Would I keep such a piper out? No; not if he or she met the musical skill requirements. It would just be irritating in the ranks. Yes, I agree that's my issue to solve and to get over.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:30 AM   #13
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
Yes, I agree that's my issue to solve and to get over.
At least you recognise that.

Absolutely nothing stopping a left handed player from being a good player, either solo or *band*.

Makes no odds in a band, I'd rather sound good than look good any day. If you just want the pipes so you can get dressed up and mince about are you really a piper? Surely music first?!

Last edited by Mac an t-Sealgair; 11-16-2020 at 01:33 AM.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #14
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
At least you recognise that.

Absolutely nothing stopping a left handed player from being a good player, either solo or *band*.

Makes no odds in a band, I'd rather sound good than look good any day. If you just want the pipes so you can get dressed up and mince about are you really a piper? Surely music first?!
I agree with "music first", and I thought that I was clear that right or left-handed playing has nothing to do with a piper's quality. And I assure you that I and our band has standards. We also compete, primarily to keep our standards up through objective assessment. Nobody who wants to "get dressed up and mince about" is going to be a member of our band. I, too, cringe at those bands we all see who are "appearance first", spending all their time over debating and obtaining uniform parts, rather than practicing their playing, sound, and music.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #15
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
I agree with "music first", and I thought that I was clear that right or left-handed playing has nothing to do with a piper's quality. And I assure you that I and our band has standards. We also compete, primarily to keep our standards up through objective assessment. Nobody who wants to "get dressed up and mince about" is going to be a member of our band. I, too, cringe at those bands we all see who are "appearance first", spending all their time over debating and obtaining uniform parts, rather than practicing their playing, sound, and music.
No, I understood. I suppose I felt that it was OK for solo but not for band, and that dress was as important as music.

Interestingly I get the whole counter march thing, but tbh I think it's as much of a problem (clanging drones) with either RH or LH. It just depends on the amount of space you've got to work with.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #16
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

In Northern Ireland, there is a small but noticeable number of really good players that play right-hand-on-top but bag under left arm.

It looks funny, and it's not the most ergonomic thing in the world, but they make it work. You do have to adjust blowpipe length and such for the ergonomics to be feasible, but it can work.

However, if it were me, I would just stick with top hand coinciding with bag arm. You'll have to communicate with vendors more, to be sure that you get a reverse-hole-cut bag, but other than that there's nothing all that annoying about it.

Massed bands suck no matter what, and your student will be more recognizable. So, maybe that can be harnessed into a positive.
Jack
Old 11-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #17
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhawkpiper97 View Post
but they make it work.

The trouble with these things is you see the ones that work; you don't see the ones that had to give up the instrument because a crooked wrist led to chronic pain while playing.
CalumII is online now   Reply With Quote