Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default A warm up routine that I think can really improve technique

While trying to think of a fast and effective way to warm up my fingers, I came upon the idea of using the drumming rudiment of a paradiddle, a L R L L / R L R R pattern and thought "I bet this could work with our gracenotes" and it very much does!

This warm up has REALLY improved my technique and done wonders for the students who have been testing it out for me. This is a great warm up for both beginning players and advanced pipers alike. Free PDF download in the description of the video.

Wanted to share this here as I think a lot of folsk could use this to improve their playing. Cheers! LINK

Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: A warm up routine that I think can really improve technique

Yet another incisive insight... and fruitful idea!!

Many thanks!! :)

Old 11-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I like it.

I tried doing it a bit more like how percussionists do paradiddle exercises - 2x at regular tempo, 4x at 2x tempo, 8x at 4x tempo, 4x at 2x tempo, 2x at regular tempo. Itís a bit of a finger-twister, but I think it will really make this exercise that much more effective.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
I like it.

I tried doing it a bit more like how percussionists do paradiddle exercises - 2x at regular tempo, 4x at 2x tempo, 8x at 4x tempo, 4x at 2x tempo, 2x at regular tempo. Itís a bit of a finger-twister, but I think it will really make this exercise that much more effective.
I agree, and plan to do another video showing something similar to this in the future (when I can pull it off!).

This video was originally intended for beginning players, but realized everyone can benefit from this, and as you said, doing it even faster (for the more advanced pipers) will give even greater results.
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote