Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
uther
Forum Member

Default Canmore hybrid bag - opinions?

I currently use a medium bannatyne synthetic bag, which is around 3 years old. It has no leaks but I'm toying with the idea of changing it for a hybrid.
I have heard they are better for starts/stops, but apart from that would I notice anything 'better' over the standard synthetic bag?
I'm not the steadiest blower in the world.
uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Canmore hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
I currently use a medium bannatyne synthetic bag, which is around 3 years old. It has no leaks but I'm toying with the idea of changing it for a hybrid.
I have heard they are better for starts/stops, but apart from that would I notice anything 'better' over the standard synthetic bag?
I'm not the steadiest blower in the world.
...in my experience any brand syn bag feels like an inflated undershirt under your arm. One can settle and get used to it.

A hybrid bag from the onset will feel very much more like a leather bag...with improved control.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I very much prefer the innate moisture control of a canmore hybrid over a bannatyne hybrid, and the medium is an excellent fit. To switch all my hide bags over to canmore hybrid has been a temptation quelled only by the cost of doing many sets.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Coincidentally, the postman just delivered a new Canmore hybrid medium size about an hour ago!

I switched to the Canmore hybrid nearly 4 years ago and shared my thoughts on these forums at the time. The extended small bag I originally purchased is still going strong after almost 4 years but Iíve decided to Ďupsizeí to a medium. The new bag will be going on my #1 set of pipes and the used one will go on my second set where I suspect it will last for a while yet!

I canít speak highly enough of the Canmore hybrid - it seems to have all the advantages of hide/skin without any of the maintenance hassle. Itís moisture control, in my case with a simple tube & Trap-dri, is great (certainly an improvement over the Bannatyne hybrid I tried a few years back) and, the heft of the bag allows for easy strike-ins and cut-offs.
Roddy Livingstone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

In my 2 sets since early 2017 with Canmore hybrid I have a Ďsimpleí vinyl tube trap upturned at the rear...to which I cut in a Trap-Dri widget mid way.

I am always surprised...( actually by now,..expectant) that after a long play in a frigid parade or outdoor gig..pouring off when convenient....the whole inside of the bag is,..like,..98+% dry to the touch...maybe a very slight sheen of dampness at the rear top. Thatís it.
Well done Canmore!
Old 11-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Canmore hybrid bag - opinions?

The others have already said it but they hybrid Canmores are amazing bags. I ordered a medium hybrid without grommets from Iain and it was ideal. Very dry bag. I would definitely have kept it on my pipes except that I have some strange ergonomics in my body so I went to a bag that fits me much better.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
Coincidentally, the postman just delivered a new Canmore hybrid medium size about an hour ago!

I switched to the Canmore hybrid nearly 4 years ago and shared my thoughts on these forums at the time. The extended small bag I originally purchased is still going strong after almost 4 years but Iíve decided to Ďupsizeí to a medium. The new bag will be going on my #1 set of pipes and the used one will go on my second set where I suspect it will last for a while yet!

I canít speak highly enough of the Canmore hybrid - it seems to have all the advantages of hide/skin without any of the maintenance hassle. Itís moisture control, in my case with a simple tube & Trap-dri, is great (certainly an improvement over the Bannatyne hybrid I tried a few years back) and, the heft of the bag allows for easy strike-ins and cut-offs.
You might get as many opinions as there are readers of your post.....

I had done the same as Roddy and switched to a Canmore ES hybrid but never found it to be a comfortable bag for me. Moisture control was better than the Bannytyne although not that much better that some sort of MCS was not needed so I didn't find it a huge step up. To me, it was more just that I didn't get on with the shape/size of it and so I've gone back to Bannatyne on all three of my sets and I am using the excellent Bannatyne MCS.

The shape/size issue is a personal one and opinions will differ on that. It's a pity that there is no way of "trying before buying".
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
gisahag
Forum Silver Medal

I went to an extended medium Canmore hybrid from a large Bannatyne hybrid a couple of years ago. In my experience the Canmore hybrid's moisture control isn't light years ahead of the Bannatyne hybrid.
For me the Canmore is a more comfortable shape and a better chanter position is possible with the it, but whether that's the smaller size I chose or the slightly different shape I can't be sure.
My experience with a floppy synthetic bag was that the pipes were hard to control because the bag didn't have any weight to counterbalance the drones, and it felt like there was no link between the drones, blowstick and chanter. That doesn't help with stops, or with maintaining steady pressure in my opinion.
If I was in your shoes I'd switch to a hybrid (with a zip) for ease of playing, and choose the Canmore for the shape. But don't expect to be able to throw away your moisture control system.
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #9
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

I find I get the most benefits from the Canmore Hybrid bag when the temperatures drop into September here in Ontario. The excellent breathability of the bag allows me to get that extra 30+ minutes of playing time over many brands I've tried that don't handle increased condensation as well.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Iíve said here this bag is tops in my book. 10/10 thumbs up.

But, still,...after several years,,,its black box technology escapes me of how it (apparently) breaths so well to remain so dry inside.....yet I seem to have increased pour off volumes from my vinyl tube trap ( albeit it does include a Trap Dri...but I had that pre-Canmore also) .

Great bag...please donít change anything....