Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Default Re: 2019-version Selbies?

I must be a strange individual indeed... I can't get the Selbie inverted bass to stay in tune for the life of me. In fact, I have no end of difficulty hearing it well enough to bring it in line with the tenors. Same problem I had with the Ezee inverted.

Here's to hoping the Selbie non-inverted bass is a true match for the (spectacular) tenors.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
DapperDan
Forum Member

I didn't like the inverted Selbie bass either, Gaidar.

I found all three to be very reliable, though. I played them for about a year, and hardly touched my drones the whole time. They stayed right at band pitch from day to day in various conditions, and locked in reliably after just a few minutes. Great product, easy to calibrate, which I appreciated as a newb.

My issue with the bass was that I could hardly hear it! I had trouble tuning it for that reason, as you've mentioned as well. So I'm also curious how the new bass reed is, I heard tell of it recently but don't know anyone playing one.

I set them aside because I felt they had a thin, ethereal tone in my pipes. Not necessarily a bad thing depending what kind of sound you want, but I wanted a richer tone. Could just be my pipes, and that I play a relatively easy reed.
Also, I've heard that you can get varying results with an inverted bass in different pipes - an inverted Ezee bass was also underwhelming in mine, while others say it made their bass louder or "darker." It made no difference for me in strike-ins either, the other reason cited for using them. I suppose some of it is subjective, but some of it is the bore of your pipes.

Still, curious to hear reviews.

Last edited by DapperDan; 03-15-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #13
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I didn't like the inverted Selbie bass either, Gaidar.

I found all three to be very reliable, though. I played them for about a year, and hardly touched my drones the whole time. They stayed right at band pitch from day to day in various conditions, and locked in reliably after just a few minutes. Great product, easy to calibrate, which I appreciated as a newb.

My issue with the bass was that I could hardly hear it! I had trouble tuning it for that reason, as you've mentioned as well. So I'm also curious how the new bass reed is, I heard tell of it recently but don't know anyone playing one.

I set them aside because I felt they had a thin, ethereal tone in my pipes. Not necessarily a bad thing depending what kind of sound you want, but I wanted a richer tone. Could just be my pipes, and that I play a relatively easy reed.
Also, I've heard that you can get varying results with an inverted bass in different pipes - an inverted Ezee bass was also underwhelming in mine, while others say it made their bass louder or "darker." It made no difference for me in strike-ins either, the other reason cited for using them. I suppose some of it is subjective, but some of it is the bore of your pipes.

Still, curious to hear reviews.
Well, I nabbed a set out of curiosity. I didn't get them in time to use them at my church's fish fry today (we did everything up with "Irish" decor, and I was retained as a piper in exchange for free food), but I'll see how the bass goes this weekend. Interestingly, it seems to have a different body material which is denser than the usual Selbie stuff, and the tongue seems to be somehow different, too. It doesn't leak as much as the old model, either. The tenors at least appear identical... which is good because I'm really liking Selbie tenors: They are a lot like Ezee, but smoother, clearer, and easier to dial in.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

I had a chance to put the new Selbies through their paces today. The tenors are slightly different from the old model, and the bass is completely different, having a standard-facing tongue and being made of a much denser, less wood-grainy material. The tenors are slightly more harmonic than the old model, and the bass is a complete improvement... I actually quite like it. It has displaced a Kinnaird Evolution bass, if that gives any frame of reference. The new bass is louder, more harmonic, and far more stable. All three reeds follow each other very well, and deliver a very clear, well-integrated sound.

All in all, the new Selbies are just plain good, and sometimes that is the highest praise that can be given.