Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old Today, 01:33 AM   #21
petercl
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Balancing chanter

Thanks Murray and Nate. I Have just put a new easy Gilmour reed in the Kyo chanter and have balanced it. I tuned in high G, F and C with tape. May I say it is a pleasure to play. Thanks for the info on the chanter Murray. Yea Nate, but we are in the information/opinion age and with social media - the editor's suggestion ain't going to happen - ha, ha.
petercl is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old Today, 04:45 AM   #22
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes in a simple way you would put the reed at the height in the reed-seat where High A and Low A agree.

But it's often not as simple as that, as we all know.

It often comes down to "majority rule", or in other words what reed-height results in the least tape.

If balancing High A to Low A meant that the whole scale got progressively flatter as I went up, meaning putting tape the on all the low hand holes to match the flat high hand, I would sink the reed until the high hand and low hand were balanced, even though this resulted in a sharp High A. I'd rather have tape on High A than on the whole low hand.

Someone said "why tape Low A?" It's not ideal, but if Low A is the outlier, too sharp in an otherwise balanced chanter, I would.

And obviously in a Pipe Band, or when playing with Pipe Organ or orchestra, yes you have to start with a number dictated by the outside world and do whatever is necessary to get your chanter to peg at that number (be it 466 or 480 or what have you).
Old Today, 06:02 AM   #23
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercl View Post
... we are in the information/opinion age and with social media - the editor's suggestion ain't going to happen - ha, ha.
Pity ... haha.

Sounds like you're making out well. Cheers to that.

Best,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote