Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Can't get sound from bagpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozang917 View Post
As far as i understand the bag has leak, but i'm not sure yet.
Also unfortunately i can't find a piper in Turkey, there's only me and internet :P

Thanks for all nice answers, it seems it's just wasting money. is it possible to doing something on it for getting sound?
The bag is probably ( notoriously) not air tight. To check, I myself would remove the drones and chanter...stopper up the stocks. Then just blow your moist breath in for 10-15 min while watching tv..trying to ‘naturally’ get the pores to close. Of course make sure the blowstick flapper works pretty airtight...and it’s hemp too ( wet it with h2o to swell it tight. )

If afterwards it still doesn’t stay inflated drum tight ...yep..porus ‘ leather’ . You could throw a 1/2 cup of water in and quickly slosh it all around in attempt to get all the leather pores to close up...if they do somewhat to enable getting the bag drum tight for 10-15 seconds.....it won’t be permanent.

Next step could be bag seasoning...but not knowing enough..you might need traditional good ol’ Aitight...or a new style ‘synthetic’ seasoning like for a Gannaway leather bag.

You might be approaching the original cost of the pipes if you import seasoning.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Notwithstanding all the good advice given above, the leaking sound you are hearing might just be air leaking through the reed before the bag has enough pressure to vibrate the reed. This is normal, leaks in other places are not.

If you are new to piping, you may be very surprised at the pressure required to get the reed playing, especially if it is new, hard or dry. To test if this is the case, plug the drone stocks, fill the bag as full as you can and then squeeze it really hard. If there aren't major leaks elsewhere, this should make the reed sound and reduce the rate of air leaking through it. If there are major leaks elsewhere, you might not be able to get the bag pressure high enough for the reed to sound.

Good luck,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #13
1911 guy
Forum Silver Medal

Good advice from everyone so far. I'll just condense what they have said.

Cork off (plug) everything except the blowstick. Try to inflate the bag. There should be a flapper valve in the blowstick. If working properly, it will prevent air from escaping when you stop blowing. If not working properly, stick your tongue against the opening to seal it. The bag should hold air for 30 seconds, minimum, without any deflation at all. Ideally, it will not deflate at all.

All the joints in a bagpipe are sealed with hemp thread. This includes the chanter. If the chanter is loose in it's stock (where it plugs into the bag) you'll never get enough pressure to sound the reed. Same thing with the drones. The only air escaping should have to pass through a reed, not out a leaky joint.

If the bag itself is leaking, it may be possible to fix. First thing to try is blowing into it for an extended period of time. The moisture in your breath may do the trick. If that does not work, bag seasoning can be purchased online. Hardie's "Airtight" is probably the most available and most well known.

If you have no previous experience with bagpipes, you will be shocked at how much pressure is needed to sound the chanter reed.

Finally, you may discover that your efforts have been in vain. Ebay is notorious for selling bagpipe shaped objects that are not actually playable instruments. Once in a while, though, a playable set makes it through.

If you manage to get the instrument going (or replace it if needed), I suggest reading a lot and asking questions here on Bob Dunsire forum and also suggest you try to acquire a set of the John Cairns books entitled "Bagpipe Solutions". If you follow them strictly, they will allow someone to play decently with no outside instruction. However, top level playing always needs top level instruction.

I also recommend reading some of the articles at www.hotpipes.com Mr. Oliver Seeler has compiled quite a few introductory level articles and many explanations of common beginner questions.
1911 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

.. great condensed summary....albeit 7 paragraphs..
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #15
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

"Can't get sound from bagpipes"

(Hate to get into this. :)

Well... just jump up and down on them hardier!! :)
(Sorry... just couldn't help it !! :)

If... if... you are anywhere near any sort of military
post or organization... you might make inquiry there...
and they might be able to lead you aright...

And though YouTube and Skype are never as good as
someone (who knows what they're doing :) sitting with
you... as you tussle with our Great Beast... both... are
greatly preferable... to such a tussle... on your own...
and rather in the dark...

Wishing for you every Good Fortune with your endeavor!!

Pip01

Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
Andrew Lenz

This article may help:
My New Bagpipes Won't Play!
http://www.bagpipejourney.com/articl...y.shtml‎

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #17
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
This article may help:
My New Bagpipes Won't Play!
http://www.bagpipejourney.com/articl...y.shtml‎

Andrew

I get a "404" error on that link
Old 01-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #18
pbutts
Forum Member

Here’s the clean link —

http://www.bagpipejourney.com/articl...-to-play.shtml
pbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #19
DapperDan
Forum Member

Hi Ozang,

Unfortunately, Pakistani bagpipes are usually junk. To get them to work might mean getting some new parts, and having to modify them. Without help from someone who knows how to do this, you will probably not get them working properly. If the bag is leaking badly, you could strain yourself trying to play them. If you are unable to find an instructor or at least experienced pipers where you are, you should be careful where you get your piping supplies. Do you have a practice chanter? You need one to start learning before you start playing the bagpipes. Pakistani practice chanters are also usually junk, although you might get lucky with one. Take a look at some legitimate sources to get an idea of what products are available and how much they cost. I don't know what's available where you are, but you might take a look at the College of Piping website.

Best of luck

Last edited by DapperDan; 01-14-2018 at 12:07 PM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #20
ozang917
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
The bag is probably ( notoriously) not air tight. To check, I myself would remove the drones and chanter...stopper up the stocks. Then just blow your moist breath in for 10-15 min while watching tv..trying to ‘naturally’ get the pores to close. Of course make sure the blowstick flapper works pretty airtight...and it’s hemp too ( wet it with h2o to swell it tight. )

If afterwards it still doesn’t stay inflated drum tight ...yep..porus ‘ leather’ . You could throw a 1/2 cup of water in and quickly slosh it all around in attempt to get all the leather pores to close up...if they do somewhat to enable getting the bag drum tight for 10-15 seconds.....it won’t be permanent.

Next step could be bag seasoning...but not knowing enough..you might need traditional good ol’ Aitight...or a new style ‘synthetic’ seasoning like for a Gannaway leather bag.

You might be approaching the original cost of the pipes if you import seasoning.
thanks for answer well i've blow it for 10 mins and sealed the holes during this minutes, there's a sound of leaking but i cannot find where it's from, i doubt it may comes from holes. but mostly it stayed inflated, confusing.

well i'm not sure about seasoning, also i don't know how to do it

anyway thank you so much for answer
ozang917 is offline   Reply With Quote