Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #41
piper01888
Forum Regular

Default Re: The Piano Guys Performance

Or get arrested!
piper01888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #42
caseybea
Forum Member

We did this in 2016 and just got asked again for a performance in 2 weeks. Can't wait!

We had a blast last time, got treated very well and the sold out audience went nuts when we stepped out.
caseybea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #43
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonLawrie View Post
Completely non-offensive humour is as much fun as completely non-alcoholic beer......
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #44
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

SNIP

The tricky gigs are things where the pipes are heard on their own AND incorporated in thick orchestration, at different times. Tune strict JI (as pipers do) and your solo bits will sound great, but the orchestrated bits not so much (especially on F#, High G, and Low G). So then it comes down to some sort of compromise tuning, if you want to be as in tune as possible in both situations.
I have never tried ET tuning but in this situation, it might be worth trying the -4 cents tuning for high and low G and choosing between the ET or JI F# depending on how much that note is used (both the number of times and the time value of each instance) in the tune selection. Trying JI tuning for the rest of the notes might be worth a shot. It might even work with drones.

Just a thought, interesting discussion.
Kevin

Last edited by Kevin; 04-15-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #45
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lawther View Post
I've just watched one of the video clips.....Amazing bloody Grace again.
Perhaps pipers should only agree to take part on a reciprocal basis in which the Piano Guys turn up at the pipe bands next gig and get to play Chopsticks.

Ian
BWAHAHAHAA! I almost shot coffee out of my nose. I would love to be a fly on the wall for that discussion with some self important classical pianist

No dis-respect to all the brilliant non-self-important classical pianists out there.

Chopsticks!! Excellent!
Old 04-16-2018, 04:31 AM   #46
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybea View Post
We did this in 2016 and just got asked again for a performance in 2 weeks. Can't wait!

We had a blast last time, got treated very well and the sold out audience went nuts when we stepped out.

Will you get paid this time out?

I'm sure the headliners will, as will the sound techs, the cameramen, the stagehands…
Old 04-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #47
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

I did this with my pipe band last year and it was a blast. Yes it's "just Amazing Grace" but that's not the point. I think it's wonderful that they incorporate live pipers into their show instead of just relying on the track. You get quite a charge from playing live in front of an audience of over 6,000 people!

https://www.facebook.com/PeterBailey...63807717030237
Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #48
caseybea
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Will you get paid this time out?

I'm sure the headliners will, as will the sound techs, the cameramen, the stagehands…
Yes, we're getting paid this time. We kinda got stiffed 2 years ago (but did get free tickets for our families). That's not the point from my perspective however... it's a short easy gig that's fun as hell and gets TONS of applause and cheers.
caseybea is offline   Reply With Quote