Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #11
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Smallpipes in other pitches besides A or D?

Yes, somewhere around F is the standard historical pitch, though G is becoming more popular for practical reasons. Northumbrians play with a more classical, fingertips on holes style, which is much easier to accommodate tight spacings with, though the G is still pretty tight even so.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Crossed with CalumII in mailing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Isn't the standard smallpipe pitch F?

They write the music in G, but it sounds in F.
Well, maybe "F-ish" Not quite F but thereabouts.

There are NSP sets in concert pitch allowing them to mix with other instrumentation without retuning.

Best wishes.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bliven; 06-04-2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: CalumII got there first.
Steve Bliven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

The trend these days is pretty strongly towards concert pitch, whether F or G. F+ had more to do with the changes of concert pitch over the years than any inherent quality in that exact frequency, and although it was considered historically important in the early days of the revival, it's mostly seen as an impediment these days.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #14
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

All very interesting!

Do you think that any current Smallpipe maker could possibly use those old specs to make an instrument in F on special request?
Old 06-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #15
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes, a smallpipe chanter in F would be easy enough to make, the issue is that playability in the Scottish style would be a struggle.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #16
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Good to know, interesting,
Old 06-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
Rob_Say
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
The trend these days is pretty strongly towards concert pitch, whether F or G. F+ had more to do with the changes of concert pitch over the years than any inherent quality in that exact frequency, and although it was considered historically important in the early days of the revival, it's mostly seen as an impediment these days.
I would respectfully disagree with "trend ..strongly towards" and "seen as an impediment"

There are vocal proponents of 'concert F' as a standard however the main body of Northumbrian piping is firmly in 'F+'. I am aware of individual makers who choose 'concert F' as their baseline and certainly if you ask one maker - they will tell you their preference but it has often been said that the collective noun for makers of the Northumbrian smallpipes is 'a disagreement'.

I can name only one top-line player who plays a concert F instrument - and three who play F# sets (Most of these players also have multiple chanters in multiple flavours of F). Depending on the reed (and the weather) an F+ player can often drop to F although you lose some tone quality. In general when playing with other pipers - it's the concert F set that is the most out of tune and pushing the hardest to get to pitch (and pitch nearly always rises over a long session)

We are currently in a bit a drought as there are no full time makers of NSP at the moment (they all do other things) - but of the 10 or so I can think of 7 or 8 of them would make F+ unless otherwise asked. the current output of 'concert F' is tiny in comparison to the number of pre-existing instruments.

Having said all that - the further away you are from Northumberland (and other pipers) the more likely you are to have a preference or need for concert F in order to play with non-pipers.

Concert G is a different kettle of fish - they've been around for ~50 years and it's certainly in demand for playing with other musicians but there is no NSP community that plays in concert G .. although there are couple of small groups in D. No-one has really solved the conundrum of a reliable, playable, mass producable G chanter.
Rob_Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #18
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks Rob. I think I've been getting my information from the concert pitch mafia
Old 06-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #19
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

One of my students is a little fellow, even at age 11. His hands just couldn't make the stretch for a regular practice chanter, so I made one for each of us in C. Mine was the experimental, but I've fallen so much in love with the sound I'm thinking of making a set of smallpipes in C.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #20
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

C is a great pitch too! If I ever get a set of smallpipes, C would be my pitch of choice. E and F might be too small for my fingers, even though I think those would sound lovely.