Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #21
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Worlds - filling and test their bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhawkpiper97 View Post
A few years ago, probably five or more now, Richard Parkes had a stock come loose from his bag from a worn out tie-in, and stopped playing. He marched on with the band and directed all of the tempo changes. Apparently, there is a rule that allows each band one 'conductor' in the circle.

British champs, Birmingham, 2008. His drone stock popped out when he struck in. He walked on and stood without playing. He did not direct - Ryan Canning took over.

There is no rule about a conductor, but there is nothing that forbids one.

(Also, the rules are online, and while they're a bit vague at times, they are worth reading, especially if you have opinions about what is or isn't allowed)
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-21-2019, 04:54 AM   #22
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I know pipers doing a little test of the bag at the line is nothing new.

What I can't recall seeing before is a Pipe Major instructing all of the pipers to do it at the same time, when the band was at the line.

I watch the Saturday live streaming every year, and I can't recall hearing that many drone issues, including some by the top bands.

I heard bad strike-ins, bad cut-offs, drones out of tune all the way through, and initially in-tune drones drifting as they went along.

Was it something as simple as better Mic placement, so we could hear more? Or the weather changes? Or the bands having to play four times in two days?
Old 08-21-2019, 06:56 AM   #23
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Or the bands having to play four times in two days?
Yes, having to play four times this year made a big difference. One placing outside the top four was enough to drop a couple of Grade I bands. I was surprised one band I heard with an outstanding Saturday medley performance did not place higher overall until I found out that they placed well outside the top four for their Friday MSR.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #24
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Or the weather changes? Or the bands having to play four times in two days?

These two more than anything else, I suspect. Sheepskin and cane all round is great when you build up to one performance - doing it four times over some very wild weather is probably pushing it.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #25
Kenton Adler
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think the reason the testing of the bags was more noticeable on Friday was that there was a guy with a microphone right there at the line. He was doing a little bit of talking between bands, and I could hear him interviewing spectators right next to the tent. I don't think they were doing it any more than usual, it was just more audible this year, and only on the Friday.

For best results - PLAY LOUD
Kenton Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #26
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
British champs, Birmingham, 2008. His drone stock popped out when he struck in...
There is no rule about a conductor, but there is nothing that forbids one.
(Also, the rules are online, and while they're a bit vague at times, they are worth reading, especially if you have opinions about what is or isn't allowed)

I managed to find a video of this, so here it is in case anyone is wondering how bad luck can strike anyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUAxQIRcJ8

Though it still looks to me that Richard is directing the tempo changes into the strathspey and then the reel. Even with the issue at the strike in, FM got 6th that day.
Jack
Old 08-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #27
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yeesh, it's scary the tricks memory can play on you. I have a very strong memory of him standing perfectly still throughout that performance, which persists despite the video evidence!
Old 08-23-2019, 01:09 AM   #28
Wulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhawkpiper97 View Post
I managed to find a video of this, so here it is in case anyone is wondering how bad luck can strike anyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUAxQIRcJ8

Though it still looks to me that Richard is directing the tempo changes into the strathspey and then the reel. Even with the issue at the strike in, FM got 6th that day.
Jack
I recall the two piping judges had FMM 1st and last.....they scraped onto the prizelist.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:19 AM   #29
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulls View Post
I recall the two piping judges had FMM 1st and last.....they scraped onto the prizelist.
That's what I recall, that one piping judge noticed a piper wasn't playing, the other judge didn't.

Richard did a beautiful job of not showing any negative body language when he realized his bag wouldn't hold air, but continuing to appear to play right into the circle. I'll bet that from the front he looked exactly like he was playing. Only from the back could you see the deflated bag.

The same thing happened to me (a stock coming loose at the line) and I did it completely wrong. I didn't pretend to keep playing and both piping judges saw I was just standing there.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #30
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

I don't know why it's necessary to make all kinds of noise to ensure that your bag is adequately inflated. *shrug*

I'm sure it varies from association to association, but in mine (EUSPBA), there is no rule that says that all pipers must play all the way through. A piper not playing wouldn't be a DQ issue unless it meant that the band fell below minimum numbers. There is also nothing that would prevent a band from stopping and restarting during a medley selection (for example, to allow a drum break). I know of at least one competition band that does this.

Most associations have rules to prevent a player from withdrawing at the line. This is to prevent players from being "cut" if the selection they aren't prepared to play is drawn at the line.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote