Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Default Hybrid bag breathing

Hi all, for many years I have been happily using old style green canmore bags and no moisture control system of any kind without having any problems apart from never quite being able to get over not having the solidity under the arm of a hyde bag. Having recently re-equipped with three sets of pipes and another set on the way shortly I chose to kit them all out with Canmore medium hybrids.

The old goretex bag seemed to do a darn good job of dropping moisture to the extent that the bag cover could be drenched after an hour or so of play but the inside of the bag would be pretty much dry.

My question to those in the know is - With the hyde covering of the hybrid, is it as good at getting rid of moisture as the traditional bag?

I should have considered this before selecting this type of bag I guess but it's only just occurred to me recently.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Hybrid bag breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTallanambeann View Post
Hi all, for many years I have been happily using old style green canmore bags and no moisture control system of any kind without having any problems apart from never quite being able to get over not having the solidity under the arm of a hyde bag. Having recently re-equipped with three sets of pipes and another set on the way shortly I chose to kit them all out with Canmore medium hybrids.

The old goretex bag seemed to do a darn good job of dropping moisture to the extent that the bag cover could be drenched after an hour or so of play but the inside of the bag would be pretty much dry.

My question to those in the know is - With the hyde covering of the hybrid, is it as good at getting rid of moisture as the traditional bag?

I should have considered this before selecting this type of bag I guess but it's only just occurred to me recently.
Yes, they're excellent at breathing and definitely more solid under the arm than the older style green bag.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #3
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
Yes, they're excellent at breathing and definitely more solid under the arm than the older style green bag.
This.

The Canmore hybrids are the best bag I have ever played. Compared to several cow bags and several other hybrid bags I have tied in and owned, the Canmore is almost night and day better. I would be surprised if you aren't happy with your purchase.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

You wonít...should not...be disappointed in any way with the Canmore hybrid. a solid feel under the arm , excellent moisture management with a vinyl tube trap enhanced with a Trap-dri.
Note..always lay the bag flat when opening the zipper...donít yank it open. Strive to apply some more silicon goop each time you open the zip.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks for the replies. I do love the medium hybrids so far for the way they feel under the arm and the way they are almost half inflated when I take them out of the case I only need one breath to fill the bag to start playing and two breaths from a completely flattened bag and it feels solid under the arm.

I was only worried that the hide would hinder the shedding of excess moisture.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I do love the medium hybrids so far for the way they feel under the arm and the way they are almost half inflated when I take them out of the case I only need one breath to fill the bag to start playing and two breaths from a completely flattened bag and it feels solid under the arm.

I was only worried that the hide would hinder the shedding of excess moisture.
The size diff between the Canmore medium and large is only 3/4” height. So,...you could say 3/8” ‘wider’ on each side of the the bag when inflated. Not enuf of a difference to deter me from going large. I am ca 6’ ..slightly trim build 34” sleeve. I tried another guy’s pipes with a Canmore medium ..surprised I did notice the difference...but not detrimental.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

Surprisingly I find a huge difference between the old Canmore I have (it's about ten years old and I am fairly certainly it's a large) which seems huge. I actually changed to the medium hybrid after looking at some photographs from when I was playing for a local event and realised just how much extra bag was sticking out behind my arm, it looked unbalanced.
I find my new hybrid mediums are just fine and dandy sizewise and they will play on the squeeze for a reasonable amount of time between breaths if desired. I am just over six foot three, 52 inch chest and can fill the medium bag with one big breath. I reckon that the extra space in my old large bag was wasted as so much of that extra wind was sticking out behind my arm and not doing much.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Surprisingly I find a huge difference between the old Canmore I have (it's about ten years old and I am fairly certainly it's a large) which seems huge.
I find my new hybrid mediums are just fine and dandy sizewise and they will play on the squeeze for a reasonable amount of time between breaths if desired.
The old green Canmore large bag was a 12" bag; it was huge. I tried one once and could barely reach the chanter. I am 5'7" and take a 32" sleeve. I, too, find the new Canmore hybrid medium to be very comfortable for me. After years of playing extended small bags, I now find I prefer the Canmore medium.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

I'm constantly suggesting the Canmore Hybrid to pipers looking for a new bag. I think they will become more popular when pipers get out of the 'Canmore = flimsy green bag' mindset - the hybrid is a much different beast!

The breathability is second to none. I think I'm a 'middle of the road' type of blower moisture-wise and the fact that I've been able to remove any type of MCS into the drones has been wonderful. Just a tube trap with a Trap-Dri works brilliantly for me.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=piper_hm;1339762

The breathability is second to none. I think I'm a 'middle of the road' type of blower moisture-wise and the fact that I've been able to remove any type of MCS into the drones has been wonderful. Just a tube trap with a Trap-Dri works brilliantly for me.
[/QUOTE]

Iíve been using the C hybrid on two sets of pipes for 2 1/2 yrs now....same ..tube/ trap dri set up. Iím always amazed how dry the inside of the bag is after a parade or funeral or games outing.

The black box technology of how a Ďrubber(ized) bag wrapped in suede can shed moisture to the atmosphere still befuddles me.