Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Ladies' Room
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ladies' Room For the Ladies.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #51
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: You play like a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherRuth View Post
So many in piping and other "sports" make dumb comments about females etc and we ate supposed to "let it go" because they're only joking. Right? A joke is a joke...let it go.

Except, doing this...turning a blind eye to blatant sexism, racism and complete unacceptable behaviour puts -everyone- and especially little kids growing up in this environment at risk. It prevents people acknowledging when something is so over the line because it muddies where that line is.
Thank you for your post. You put (in the above quote) what I was trying to say perfectly - that there is behaviour that goes on in the piping world that is unacceptable and we don't see it because we all think we all know where that line is, but some of us don't.

For what it's worth, I know personally of several stories like yours. You're not the only one, as I'm sure you know (and I suspect your private messages will bear that out).
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #52
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Thank you for your post. You put (in the above quote) what I was trying to say perfectly - that there is behaviour that goes on in the piping world that is unacceptable and we don't see it because we all think we all know where that line is, but some of us don't.

For what it's worth, I know personally of several stories like yours. You're not the only one, as I'm sure you know (and I suspect your private messages will bear that out).
Thank you both. There is still so much work left to do. Speaking of it makes it easier for the next generation.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #53
SweetDrones
Forum Member

the first band I was in, I faced violence - verbal but also physical, including in public or in front of children, from my first lesson. I got kicked out for reporting it. they even made a big show out of kicking me out too. Losers...

Thing is, it stays with you. Several years later, I am still a very anxious player and will probably never enjoy bagpipe like I enjoy sax right now.

I have also seen other stuff, but yeah, like Callum says, there is a lot of unexcusable behaviour out there in the piping world, including in one Grade 1 or 2 band (I can't remember) I know of.
SweetDrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #54
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

... And now... between SweetDrones and TheotherRuth... and
CalumII and Rooklidge... I would pray that there is some silent
and very deep-reaching self-reflection going on within many of us...

For it is we... who are here... who must help the world become a
better... and a safer place... for those who are also here... and
who shall come after...

... Stand up!! ... Step in!!... Speak!!... and uphold what is Right!!
... and equally condemn!!... what is so obviously... Wrong!!

"If you're not part of the solution... you are part of the problem."

Let us aid one another, and ourselves, to better Life, and Music.

Last edited by Pip01; 06-21-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #55
NoisyPiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
And the winning Quarterback in the superbowl...oh I forget her name... Anybody????

Paul
Interesting that you pick an example of a sport which does not have a kids-to-professional pipeline for development of female players to suggest that a woman couldn't be the Quarterback on a winning Super Bowl team.
NoisyPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #56
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Intresting YOU think I put that much thought into it.

More like, because as most people on here are american I picked a sport that they would identify with.

I'm sure there is a sport where a woman is the best, and competes on an equal footing with men. Please enlighten me. Perhaps Tennis or Golf.

I don't really want to go any further down this rabbit hole. Anyone, man, woman or persons of fluid gender can do whatever they want. But to suggest that men and woman are the same is

Paul