Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
salmunmousavi
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Have any of you guys been to the College of Piping Summer School?

I have a hankering to sign up this coming year but don't really know much about it past what they have in the description section on the website. Have any of you guys ever been, and is it worth it? What was your experience like?

Anything helps!
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

Default Re: Have any of you guys been to the College of Piping Summer School?

I went for several years before I began teaching there and always got a lot out of it.

I feel that the summer schools offer so much, even if there were no instruction. Meeting other pipers (and drummers) and playing, hearing, talking, thinking pipes for a week. Helping new friends who are earlier in their journey, getting help from new friends who are father along.

Hearing the piping and lore from the instructors was (and still is) always a big bonus for me too.

You get about 5 hours of instruction a day for 6 days, plus evening recitals.

The facilities and location are good. The rooms aren't 5 star and the meals aren't gourmet but they're not at all bad and I have to be careful or I gain weight every year! There are loads of good pubs/restaurants in easy walking distance for evening festivities should you desire. The beach is right across the street and my pipes love it.

I certainly think it's a great time and value but I am a bit biased!

Looking forward to what others have to say and seeing you in June!
Aaron Shaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
salmunmousavi
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Have any of you guys been to the College of Piping Summer School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaw View Post
I went for several years before I began teaching there and always got a lot out of it.

I feel that the summer schools offer so much, even if there were no instruction. Meeting other pipers (and drummers) and playing, hearing, talking, thinking pipes for a week. Helping new friends who are earlier in their journey, getting help from new friends who are father along.

Hearing the piping and lore from the instructors was (and still is) always a big bonus for me too.

You get about 5 hours of instruction a day for 6 days, plus evening recitals.

The facilities and location are good. The rooms aren't 5 star and the meals aren't gourmet but they're not at all bad and I have to be careful or I gain weight every year! There are loads of good pubs/restaurants in easy walking distance for evening festivities should you desire. The beach is right across the street and my pipes love it.

I certainly think it's a great time and value but I am a bit biased!

Looking forward to what others have to say and seeing you in June!
Thank you for the info! I must admit, I am super excited that you responded. I admire what you do with the Wicked Tinkers very much.

And if there were plenty of reasons to attend before, the fact that you'll be there is another good one. I've been teaching myself how to play the pipes since January, with the exception of a few practice chanter lessons and one class with a PM friend of mine. So I think bagpipe camp is pretty much a dream come true.

Thank you for your input, and I am looking forward to meeting you in person!
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote