Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Old 11-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #21
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Groped by women when performing?

Yes. More often than I care to count. It ended up happening enough that I printed up cards to hand out to offenders.
A few St Patrick's Days ago, I was standing on a chair playing in a crowded bar and this woman who'd grabbed me a few times before went for gold and was gripping my ass cheek hard enough that it was actually hurting. This was while I was playing a tune. I turned and smacked her hand a off me while bellowing "Get your damned hands off me!" and her hand flew into her own face as she wobbled. A table of lager louts started yelling "Whoa whoa!" and I thought, "Oh, boy. Here comes the fight with Captain Save-A-Ho." I struck back in and started playing right where I had left off and the guys started cheering and chanting "Throw her out! Throw her out!"

Last edited by TwitchyFingers; 11-27-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Can't get image to load
TwitchyFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #22
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

It is a funny topic made in jest, one I've been asked often (and truthfully answer "nothing" because we're all just human bodies and it's not a big deal to me).

But, as our piping culture is male dominated, the important piece to this topic is being aware that sharing an experience which to us as men might be funny or a one-off while wearing a kilt, is sadly a normal everyday occurrence in the life of nearly every woman I've gotten to know including my wife. Just something to keep in mind is all.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #23
Andrew Lenz
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
It is a funny topic made in jest...
Just to be clear, I didn't post the topic in jest. Some guys are fine with such "attention", but others aren't so keen to have hands up their kilts or private parts photographed. I fall into the latter category myself.

And any man who would subject a woman to such disgraceful behavior gives the rest of us a bad name.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #24
T.Ackland
Forum Member

I have heard that transvestites are the worst offenders?
T.Ackland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #25
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks Andrew. There are a people giving others a bad name to be sure.

I've only been asked, I've never been "groped" thankfully.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #26
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

I can take the groping, which I indicated seems--at least around here--to have been more prevalent a few decades ago. I can take the jostling, often a part of pushing through a crowded pub while playing.

What I cannot tolerate are the nimrods who think they're really funny messing with our instruments. Tugging on our cords is one thing. Yanking on the drones is a step up. Trying to pour beer down my or a colleague's drones is at another level, and very likely deserving a thumping. One year, while playing in a circle on St. Patrick's Day, I saw the bass drummer stop, and head towards me with his mallet raised. I didn't know what was going on, until he wacked a guy behind me who, unbeknownst to me, had a pint tipping over a tenor drone, about to pour. I was grateful to the drummer's being attentive and tending to the issue.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #27
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

A Very Partial l
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer

What I cannot tolerate are the nimrods who think they're really funny messing with our instruments.

... and very likely deserving a thumping.

Greetings to All,

At the risk of this Thread taking yet another turn...
allow me... please... a further... and very personal...
observation... (but with the hope to not inspire... that
further... turn...:)

We all do this... playing... because we like it!!... and it's
Great Fun!! :)

In these many and seemingly long years... only thrice have
I had to seriously... with my bottom hand... reach out... and
engage... with someone... (Any just muckin' with the cords...
or some such... not serious... and just move away... perhaps
with a look... that helps preclude... further such actions... :)

But those three... were... of great... and possible injury... to my
instrument... and any such... I shall not brook. :(

All three instances were very quick... and to the physical point
of the offender's contact with my pipes... and all three... and
quite suddenly... discovered that theirs was a very bad idea...
and all... and without any physical injury (though their pride
may have suffered)... decided abruptly to... "Stand Down."

Ah... we all must navigate... these more gentle eddies... and
some more strident rip-tides... of our human conditions... and
yet... again... with as much... Good Grace... as we can muster...

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 11-29-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #28
Toxpert
Forum Regular

My memories of playing band gigs include the blessing and curse of St Patrick’s Day. The blessing was lots of gigs that helped to fund our band budget. The curse developed over the day and was directly related to time of day and audience alcohol consumption.

Morning and early afternoon gigs tended to be fun-filled family events and parades. Late afternoon and evening gigs put us on the defensive for bad behaviors. By late evening, sloshed green beer and offensive shouting/demands from alcohol-fueled bravado were predictable.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #29
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
It is a funny topic made in jest, one I've been asked often (and truthfully answer "nothing" because we're all just human bodies and it's not a big deal to me).

But, as our piping culture is male dominated, the important piece to this topic is being aware that sharing an experience which to us as men might be funny or a one-off while wearing a kilt, is sadly a normal everyday occurrence in the life of nearly every woman I've gotten to know including my wife. Just something to keep in mind is all.
This sort of behavior is totally baffling and inexcusable, whether the piper/drummer tolerates it or not and regardless of their gender identity. What one wears under their external garments is nobody else's business whether that garment is a kilt, a sari, a pair of jeans or a wet suit. I haven't heard of such behavior taking place in other areas of life though perhaps others may experience it. I suppose pipers/drummers are invited to perform in places where intoxication is more likely. The behavior is just as reprehensible when the perpetrator is shnockered. Few things make me truly angry but inappropriate physical touch is one of them. I'm not sure there is much we can do except deal with the situations as they arise and hope things will improve eventually.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #30
Rick
Forum Silver Medal

Never been groped (my wife excluded), but frequently get asked. My most frequent answer to what's worn under the kilt is "It depends upon the occasion, the company, and the ambient temperature. Not necessarily in that order.