Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Teacher's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Teacher's Lounge Pedagogy - the art or profession of teaching

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Default Developing steady pressure

We all experienced the difficulty of having a new piper develop an ear and feel for steady pressure on the pipes. I've taken the gage from a Blood Pressure Cuff and set it up with a hose to a hollow cork. I've had the student insert it into the end tenor drone and have it set to where he can watch the needle. I told him listen to the tone of the drones and watch the needle, to try to keep the needle as steady as possible and to hold a steady tone as long as he can. We're working him up to playing the simplest of tunes aand now with a visual clue as well we're making better progress.

On another note with the set of pipes he has (Ebay anyone?) we discovered a unique aspect that was also distracting from advancement. The molded plastic blow pipe had for lack of a better term a floating little mac valve in the body, coupled with a little mac in the stick end the air flow was erratic at best entering the bag. Removal of the hard rubber piece also made the pipes more playable. Just a few observations on what I've and another person have experienced with the student's pipes.

What was that about $500 to make some imported specials playable?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Developing steady pressure.

I’ve come across newbies with two ‘flappers’...either a flap + moose or similar redundancy.

I think ,besides 2x resistance,.. the flappers are not in synch opening and closing ...thus...fllluuffppphh-ing.

Imho Simple flappers...plastic or even oldies from a leather boot tongue...work fine if properly tied and maintained.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

...thus...fllluuffppphh-ing.

Most accurate description of the effect I've seen. Cheers.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

More is less (in this case)
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote