Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Default Thick-walled rigid tube for prototype SSP chanter

Hi,

I want to make a rough prototype SSP chanter to experiment with double tone holes, for E/Eb and high A/G#. Instead of spending hours boring and turning wooden prototypes, I am wondering if I could use thick walled rigid tubing (likely plastic) for these experiments. If necessary the outside diameter could either be reduced by turning or sanding it or built up with epoxy (or similar) to match the planned outside diameter of the chanter.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Also, if anyone knows of a source for suitable tubing (approx 3/16" ID), please let me know.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Thick-walled rigid tubing

I've been told this is the same stuff many of the brown drone reeds are made from.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#phenolic/=11ki9af
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #3
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Why not 3d print it.
But if the final goal is wood why not start that way. Surely a rough sanded and epoxied plastic tube is going to give different results.

Paul.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have ready access to a 3D printer but I may look into that. I will eventually be making a wood prototype if this works but the truth is that it takes a long time to bore and turn wood and I am likely to mess up several prototypes before I approach anything successful. I really need something quick and dirty to test a few concepts before investing much time in a wood prototype.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I made the first prototype G major chanter out of silicone tubing encased in plastic tubing. It plays great, except for how floppy it is.

I've thought of just buying these pre-bored 3/16" tubes and making cheap smallpipe chanters. Iain Allen makes great reeds for 3/16" bored chanters.

It doesn't take much to make something that works really well. Our reliance on expensive hardwoods and aesthetics is the only reason smallpipes are so expensive.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post

It plays great, except for how floppy it is.

Might be perfect for border crossings though...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Thick-walled rigid tube for prototype SSP chanter

Those 3/16" ID / 3/8" OD tubes look like they should do the trick. The only wrinkle may be longer finger spacing on the bottom hand because the chimney height will be shorter using a cylindrical tube than it would be with a turned chanter with a conical exterior shape. Only a problem for small hands and could be corrected for when/if I ever get to the turned wood prototype stage.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
Kevin
Old 01-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Thick-walled rigid tube for prototype SSP chanter

It just occurred to me that I could stack various diameters of that Garolite (Phenolic Resin) tubing to taper the outside of a prototype SSP chanter. Kind of the opposite of a David Daye Penny Chanter. Does anyone know what kind of adhesive would work best with Garolite?

Best regards,
Kevin