Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #21
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Breath size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C. View Post
For what it's worth, I take full breaths to get the bag full enough to get the pipes going... After that it's much smaller breaths while playing.

Me, too!!

And that way... I don't fall over... in the middle of everything !! :)

Gold Sponsor
Old 01-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #22
MichiganGaidar
Forum Member

Quote:
Me, too!!

And that way... I don't fall over... in the middle of everything !!
Bingo. Assuming you have the instrument set properly (which is admittedly quite the assumption), this should really be the only remaining concern. Long or short matters less than keeping both pipes and piper going.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #23
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think that the blowing of the pipes should be as natural, as much part of your normal breathing cycle, as possible.

That's the great advantage bagpipes have over other wind instruments. With a trumpet, sax, or what have you sound is only coming out when air is going in and your breathing cycle is anything but natural, highly artificial actually.

A university oboe professor was telling our class that he believed that the oboe's breathing was the most artificial of all, due to the high backpressure and very little air passing through the instrument, that the player has to find places to exhale as well as inhale, otherwise too much stale air is in the lungs. "You have to remember to breathe, to keep yourself conscious!"

I have observed different approaches.

You'll see pipers who do a fairly quick forceful blow, the bag-arm maintaining the pressure the rest of the time.

A student of Jimmy McColl told me that Jimmy spoke of blowing the bagpipe more like a flute, blowing long, steady, and gently, and only using the bag-arm when you have to take a breath.

At the first Games I attended, in Santa Monica in the early 1970s, my father (who didn't play any instrument, but whose father and brother were musicians) wandered around watching the various pipers and stopped when he came across one particular older piper. My father watched him play for quite some time (might have been piobaireachd) and told me later "He's the best piper. His breathing was so effortless."

It was Jimmy McColl.