Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #1
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Cane SSP Reeds

Guys,
As many of the “Old timers” Here know, I have nothing better to do than pre stress about the future of my Riggs.

As such, I have been absolutely relishing the sound of my Pinchbeck chanter in A voiced to match My Ray Hughes custom ssp set. Kelleher bellows.... eseedrone reeds....the set plays like a dream.

When this cane reed goes how touch is it to send out my chanter to another ssp maker and voice A cane reed it to my chanter? I just noted on Chris Pinchbeck’s site he has cut back to work on orders from Dec- March..... got me thinking about this craft and there are no guarantees who will be “around” in 5 years.

Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Cane SSP Reeds

Makers will often direct you to the original maker if they are still around, but even so there are plenty people around like Ian Allen who can reed anything with holes in it.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

OK, good to know. I always bet a bit nervous with "propriety" skills....

My Pinchbeck chanter is a dream, though... which begs a new thread. lol
Old 09-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

With a bellows blown set, it's not uncommon for a reed to last for decades assuming careful handling. I played a Hamish Moore set for over 15 years with no reed issues (other than the occasional seasonal adjustment of the bridle) and it was still going strong when I sold it.

Best wishes.

Steve
Old 09-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks, Steve. That is helpful info.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #6
Matt Buckley
Forum Clasp

I, too, am still on the same H. Moore chanter reed for at least the past 15 years. The key for me is that I try very hard not to fuss with it. Only on rare occasion do I make an adjustment, and then only very carefully. Often, if it's not happy, I simply wait a day or two until it's happy again.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

The reeds in my various Ray Sloan chanters are still going strong after 20 years. A student just took delivery of a new SSP from Ray, and it is interesting to hear a new reed compared to my 20 year old reed. My reed is still just as loud and clear as her new one. If anything my old reed has gotten better over time.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Gentlemen.... you are a blessing.

I really needed to know this. Especially since i refuse to even look at the bridle on my sup reed.. I mean it. I'll re-tape the chanter before I touch the bridle.

At some point I'll need to own the sap adjustments the way I can do so on my GHB blindfolded... just scares me.

Do any of you know if the hole spacing is more consistent with ssp chanters than the GHB? I am thinking of trying out other chanters but it will be an expensive experiment and i the spacing is a bear, might not be worth it.

Pinchbeck (chanter played with Ray Hughes custom set of drones) makes a lovely chanter as it is.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murry View Post
Do any of you know if the hole spacing is more consistent with ssp chanters than the GHB?

Short answer, no, but if you explain what it is you're after most makers will be able to accommodate. There are only so many ways to get a note at 440 out a smallpipe.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Some makers use more of an angle when drilling the high G and F than others. I have a Bb chanter that is very tight because there is no angle to the hole, and a D chanter that is not because the angle is fairly steep, from two different makers obviously.