Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #11
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: The WARBL MIDI Controller - very realistic uilleann pipe sound and fingering!

Very good, not using the two-pressure first octave/second octave dichotomy, which will instill bad blowing habits.

As long as you have the range from low octave G to high octave F# in one pressure you're good.

I will say that you shouldn't model the pressure from a whistle, or any instrument other than the uilleann pipes.

The pressure for whistle varies from maker to maker and depends on how they have the octave relationship set up. It just might be possible to find a whistle that blows fairly similarly to an uilleann pipe chanter, but to find such a whistle you have have to begin with knowing exactly how an uilleann pipe chanter blows, which defeats the purpose of finding the whistle.

About Michael Eskin, I've not played his uilleann app, but I did try a Highland pipe app of his quite a few years ago which was utterly unplayable. It was no fault of the app, but rather the device not having a quick enough response time to correctly interpret gracenotes. The same response time issue would also prevent an uilleann, whistle, or flute app from being able to play Irish music. I assume that current devices have much faster response times.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: The WARBL MIDI Controller - very realistic uilleann pipe sound and fingering!

Now that's pretty cool! Checked out a few videos on the thing. Can see it as a good learning tool.