Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #1
bethedrone
Forum Member

Default Canmore bag size?

I've played a Ross medium for years now and wondering which size to get in the
Canmore. Please advise. Also what do people prefer, the hybrid or the regular?
bethedrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: canmore bag size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethedrone View Post
I've played a Ross medium for years now and wondering which size to get in the
Canmore. Please advise. Also what do people prefer, the hybrid or the regular?
..no question....get the hybrid. As for size there is only a 3/4” height diff between Med and Large...that translates to a mere 3/8” on inboard and outboard...if you are ~ 5-’9” - 6’ and use a 10” + blowstick I think you’ll have no problem with Large.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
Lochie
Forum Regular

I currently play 2 sets of pipes as I'm with 2 pipe bands...different covers cords chanter etc...
Both have a Canmore hybrid, great bag.
One has an extended small, the other a standard medium and I barely notice the difference.
I came from a Ross extended small, and would say it very closely matches the canmore ES.
I'm 5'11", and a standard build, slightly long arms...
Hope it helps.
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I am happy with my medium hybrid. Haven’t played Ross in years so hard to compare. 5’11” 155 lbs male. Haven’t played the synthetic.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Like Lochie, I play both an extended small Canmore hybrid and a medium (actually, an extended medium) and hardly notice any difference.

I prefer the extended medium to the medium because it has a little extra air capacity. The medium and the extended medium are identical in depth, circumference and drone position relative to the chanter. The extended medium, however, is one inch longer, which provides the extra capacity.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #6
Barry Shears

Default Re: Canmore bag size?

I have two medium size canmore bags that I am quite happy with. I bought a canmore hybrid bag medium late last year but the bag leaked after 6 months. Come to think of it , improbably started to leak a bit sooner than that. I contacted the manufacturer and was told my trap dry moisture control system caused the bag to fail. A few months of playing it looks like it wore a tiny hole in the gortex material . The bag leaked significantly through the leather seam stitching but how this was caused by a water tube trap is beyond me. The bottom line is I will not be buying the new hybrid bag from canmore. Any one have similar experiences?
Cheers, Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:58 AM   #7
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Shears View Post
I have two medium size canmore bags that I am quite happy with. I bought a canmore hybrid bag medium late last year but the bag leaked after 6 months. Come to think of it , improbably started to leak a bit sooner than that. I contacted the manufacturer and was told my trap dry moisture control system caused the bag to fail. A few months of playing it looks like it wore a tiny hole in the gortex material . The bag leaked significantly through the leather seam stitching but how this was caused by a water tube trap is beyond me. The bottom line is I will not be buying the new hybrid bag from canmore. Any one have similar experiences?
Cheers, Barry
That's interesting, my Canmore Hybrid has been going 2 years with no issue and I've used only a tube trap with a Trap Dri for moisture control. Strange that'd they say the tube trap would increase the risk of bag failure. Their website only recommends not using silica gels in the bag, stating it could cause the adhesive and silica to react causing bag failure at the seams or grommets. I'd be interested to know what MCS they DO recommend in their bags at this point...
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:12 AM   #8
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Mine purchased earlier this year came with a tube trap (elbow, corrugated tube, rounded cartridge same diameter as tube with a cloth on the inside).

https://www.canmorepipebags.com/
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Mine purchased earlier this year came with a tube trap (elbow, corrugated tube, rounded cartridge same diameter as tube with a cloth on the inside).

https://www.canmorepipebags.com/
Ha. I noted that same cartridge on a new pipes set up a student just got...I chuckled at the even smaller/worthless piece of sham-wow.
We’ll be replacing it with a DIY vinyl tube/ trap-dri.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
Lochie
Forum Regular

Both my Canmore Hybrids are being used with a vinyl tube trap, with a trap dri installed half way along as instructed.
One bag is at least 2 years old, or whenever they first came out.
The other is probably newer by 6 months.
Neither leak, and I test for that regularly....
I don't see how the tube can cause a leak...
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote