Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default G1 Gold chanter

Anyone playing this chanter in plastic or Blackwood? Thoughts? Reviews?
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: G1 Gold chanter

Hello,

I finally got one in the mail the other day. Very comfortable. Pitches around 486 to 488 with the reeds I have tried so far. Scale is great, a little tape goes a long way on this chanter, different than what I am used to.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hey, Ralph. Wow; that's sharp! Is it plastic or wood? What reeds? We're playing G1 Platinums in plastic McC Mk2 with ranges from 476 to 480. As you said, very little tape and good scales. Haven't seen the G1 Gold.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

I have tried a g1 platinum, Colin mclellelan and also a hoggan plastic reed I have acquired that showed a lot of promise on once I fine tune the notes. I guess that is where it supposed to tune for a solo chanter these days? Very comfortable, I have the plastic model
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:23 AM   #5
Chris Knife
Forum Silver Medal

I'd echo ralph's comments in that it is very comfortable and easy to fine tune. I've only tried a blown-in Troy MacAlister reed so far with great results. I've not pulled the meter out to see the pitch, but I know it came down on the pins about an eighth of an inch or so, so I know it's a bit higher in pitch than what I play in an old Naill (mid-80s) and a Henderson (2015/16) which is in the range of 479-481. This is also a very free flowing chanter for me (like the previous two). I'm enjoying the tone and comfort I'm experiencing. There's a sparkle to it that still has a solo pipe tone to my ear.

Great purchase for me.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Our band tried some G1 chanters.

They sounded so nice being played by a Grade One band in Scotland, playing on wet grass, in the rain, pitching in the low-to-mid 480s.

But here in the arid US Southwest, being played on blacktop, in the sun, they approached 490 and we struggled with reeds to bring the pitch down to earth.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

My G1 Gold (blackwood) is in the 482-484 range with a few G1 Platinum and Shepherd reeds I've tried. My band plays in the 477-478 range, so it takes a bit for the ear to adjust back, but it's sounding great so far. Very comfortable hole size and spacing with a nice crack to it.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #8
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Yikes that is sharp. I bet it is comfortable and easy to reed though and it is a great chanter.

I've wanted to own a G1 but their high pitch has stopped me. My Shepherd MKII is typically around 476hz +/- 2hz, my Colin Kyo and Peter Henderson usually 478hz but they can pass 480hz depending. I can hang with 480hz or low 480's if that's the top end. For my own playing, once a chanter starts in the low 480's and climbs from there I just find it's too distracting and 'in my ear' to me. The Gandy McCallum felt awesome in hand and was very easy to reed, but I chose the Shepherd over it because it was one of these.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post

My Shepherd MKII is typically around 476hz +/- 2hz,

I am curious how old is your MK2 Shepherd?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #10
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I am curious how old is your MK2 Shepherd?
Just under a year I think, purchased it new from Jim McGillivray in ABW.