Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
MichaelR.S.
Forum Regular

Default Re: How well do ABW pipes age?

Thanks Pipersergent71.

But since I'm 50, they wont have to wrok too hard at lasting the rest of MY life. And my "children" all have four legs. Hard to grip the pipes in the ole paws

But I get your point and I thank you, all of you, for your thoughts/advice.
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugz
The founder of my pipe band has a set that has been in his family that were played at Waterloo - they have been well maintained
In that case they would not be made of ABW, which was uncommon until the end of the 19th century. Pre-Waterloo pipes might be made of local woods, cocuswood, laburnum, Lignum Vitae or ebony - ebony is far more liable to crack than any of the other woods, including blackwood,early laburnum and cocus sets can survive in rather good shape and playing condition.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
bugz
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bugz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The founder of my pipe band has a set that has been in his family that were played at Waterloo - they have been well maintained
In that case they would not be made of ABW, which was uncommon until the end of the 19th century. Pre-Waterloo pipes might be made of local woods, cocuswood, laburnum, Lignum Vitae or ebony - ebony is far more liable to crack than any of the other woods, including blackwood,early laburnum and cocus sets can survive in rather good shape and playing condition. </div></div>
Your right. I was talking to my pipe major at a gig we were playing this weekend, and I asked him about his father's pipes, and yes, they are made of ebony, not ABW, but the same point holds: Given proper care, pipes, be they ABW or whatever, can last a LONG time. Treat them improperly, and you are asking for trouble.
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
Bob Boyd
Forum Silver Medal

I play 1924 ABW pipes which have been around the world with The Royal Scots Fusilers and the Argyles and they are in great shape. Just play them oftem and wipe them off if really wet.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
MichaelR.S.
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your thoughts. I think I will give up the idea of Delrin/"plastic" pipes as my first set and go right to ABW.

Fortuneately I have time (it will take me a bit to save up) to decide on what brand to get. In fact, I thnk I'll start a new thred on that so you all can help me with that.

Who knows. Maybe it will be easier than I think. Maybe everyone will agree on one berand/maker