Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #11
bugz
Forum Member

Default Re: Cane practice chanter reed help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Huth
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackadder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Urquhart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roger, care to share where you got those plastic reeds?
Hear, hear! </div></div>

I'd better not. </div></div>
Whaaaat???? That hardly seems in character with the Dunsire Forum spirit!??
bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
Randy Erickson
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugz
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roger Huth</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Urquhart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roger, care to share where you got those plastic reeds?
I'd better not. </div></div>
Whaaaat???? That hardly seems in character with the Dunsire Forum spirit!?? </div></div>

I know a retired gentleman who is a fine piper, teacher, judge, and set-up man. He also makes fantastic chanter reeds and practice chanter reeds on the side, as a hobby for friends and students. It's a bit of a bother sometimes, and he does not want this to become another job.

A few years ago a vendor spread it 'round about a great reed he (the reedmaker) produced for a specialty application and how he (the vendor) would be happy to sell them to you. The publicity was not appreciated. Could be that Roger is merely respecting a friend's wishes.
Randy Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
Roger Huth

I'm sort of backed into a corner here.

Andrew Frater

Pressing 'submit'

Now
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
Blackadder
Forum Gold Medal

*sigh*
Should have guessed he wouldn't be on this side of the pond. Not that that's automotically prohibitive. But we are just talking about PC reeds.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #15
jd3214
Forum Silver Medal

Cane PC reeds have been a sort of underground secret for a lot of years. Now, it seems (from Roger's comment above) the plastic have become the secret "hot" reeds again. I think plastic went downhill when that guy from Canada passed away and stopped making the white ones with the yellow hemp. I still look for those in old pipe boxes and stuff and grab them whenever possible. They last forever and never any problem. I found the cane advertised and available a COP. Have been using them since they started making those red things that never work right.
jd3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
Dieppe42
Forum Regular

I just checked COP and they don't have cane PC reeds listed. So where can we get them?

Philip
I share the name of three great and valiant pipers, my Grandfather, Pipe Sgt Robert Laidlaw, Essex Scottish Regt. my Great Uncle, Pipe Major James Laidlaw, CAMC, and Sgt. Daniel Laidlaw VC. of the KOSB. I think Practice Chanter Laidlaw fits me better than Piper Laidlaw now.
Dieppe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #17
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have about 150 of them at present....
Iain Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
kingric
Forum Gold Medal

Do any Forum sponsors carry Andrew Frater's PC reeds? Or is there a way to contact him directly?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #19
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

No and no. Andrew only makes a few reeds for his friends and the band he works with. I used to sell his chanter reeds, but he stopped making for me about three years ago.
Iain Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote