Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Kenton Smith
Forum Silver Medal

Default Info Request: Dr. William Donaldson's Set Tunes Series

From 2001 to 2005 I downloaded all of Dr. William Donaldson's articles in his series published by Piper & Drummer magazine. Unfortunately, 2005 marked the beginning of the Four Years of Parent Care from Hell. I won't go into a detail on that, but suffice it to say my wife and I spent the better part of those years in nursing homes and hospital emergency rooms. As a consequence, I failed to keep current with Dr. Donaldson's articles.

Last week I discovered the entire collection of articles on Pipesdrums.com and downloaded all the articles I had missed, along with the MP3s, where available.

Here (finally!) is my request: Can anyone provide me a list of which tunes were published each year, from 2006 to the present? I would really appreciate it, as it will enable me to continue keeping the Preface and articles for each year together.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Kenton Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Info Request: Dr. William Donaldson's Set Tunes Series

2006 - Chislhom's Salute, Daughter's Lament, Duke of Atholl's Salute, Fair Honey, Grain in Hides Corn in Sacks, Isabel Mackay, Lament for the Laird of Anapool, Lord MacDonald's Lament, MacCrimmon Will Never Return, MacLean's March, Old Men of the Shells, Lament for the Only Son, Weighing from Land

2007 - Bells of Perth, Castle Menzies, Lament for the Duke of Hamilton, Good Health to You Donald, Lachlan MacNeill's Fancy Campbell, Lady Margaret MacDonald's Salute, Lord Lovat's Lament, MacGregor's Salute, MacNeill of Barra, Lament for MacSwan of Roaig, The Prince's Salute, The Red-Speckled Bull, The Groat, Lament for the Viscount Dundee

2008 - Blind Piper's Obstinancy, Lament for the Castle of Dunyveg, Clan MacNab's Salute, Corrienessan's Salute, The End of the Great Bridge, Hector MacLean's Warning, I am Proud to Play a Pipe, MacDonald of Kinlochmoidart's Lament (No 1), My King Has Landed in Moidart, Park Piobaireachd No 2, Rout of the MacPhees, Sobieskis Salute, Stewart's White Banner, The King's Taxes

2009 - Battle of Auldearn No 2, MacLeod of MacLeod's Lament, Lament for the Harp Tree, Lament for the Dead, Lament for John Garbh MacLeod, Lament for Patrick Og MacCrimmon, Lament for MacLeod of Colbecks Lament, MacIntosh's Lament, Nameless Hiharin Dro O Dro, The Battle of Waternish, The Desparate Battle, The Lament for MacDonald's Tutor, The MacDonald's Salute, The Macrae's March, Tulloch Ard

*Disclaimer: Hope this list is complete, I took it from my files that I kept of Dr Donaldson's pdf files by year. Best check the offical tune names, these are from my short-hand names for the files. Taking all of Dr Donaldson's tune analyses and publishing them in book form would be a great project. A few of the set tunes were revisited from the previous years.

All the best -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Kenton Smith
Forum Silver Medal

Wow! Thanks, Wes!

I now have (almost) all the articles and MP3s sorted into the correct directories. (Is your list by any chance in the order of publication? Just wondering.)

There are still three tunes that need a home:
  • The Battle of Strome (PDF & MP3)
  • Lament for Donald of Laggan (PDF only)
  • MacKays' Banner (revised, originally published in 2001) (PDF & MP3)
Were these perhaps published in 2005? I could very well have missed them if they were published after the beginning of The Troubles.

Kenton
Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton Smith View Post
Wow! Thanks, Wes!

I now have (almost) all the articles and MP3s sorted into the correct directories. (Is your list by any chance in the order of publication? Just wondering.)

There are still three tunes that need a home:
  • The Battle of Strome (PDF & MP3)
  • Lament for Donald of Laggan (PDF only)
  • MacKays' Banner (revised, originally published in 2001) (PDF & MP3)
Were these perhaps published in 2005? I could very well have missed them if they were published after the beginning of The Troubles.

Kenton
Kenton - Unfortunately, my list is in alphabetical order (I renamed the files when I saved them). I did print them out in order of their being published and have hard copies in 3-ring binders for each individual year.

2005 (from my 3-ring binder, hard copy) -Lament for the Union, Lament for the Earl of Antrim, Young Laird of Dungallon's Salute, Lament for Captain MacDougall, March for a Beginner, Clanranald's Salute, Lament for the Last Supper, Mrs MacLeod of Talisker's Salute, The Boat Tune, Cluny Macpherson's Salute, Nameless Cherede Darievea, Beinn a' Ghriain, Mackay's Short Tune, MacLeod of MacLeod's Lament, Gathering of the MacNabs, Earl of Ross's March, Lady Doyle's Salute

My 2006 - 2009 3-ring binders are packed in a box in my attic, I think. I'll try to hunt them down and look at the order of the tunes for those years. Those I previously gave were from my files on a flash drive that I keep for quick reference and were not in order of issuance, but were filed by year. I remember some of the tunes being revised. Will check my 'stash' and get back to you. While I am at it, I may as well go through my hard copy binders and make a complete listing...or my wife may just say, "Get a life!" (She's put up with a lot over the years).

Wes
Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Kenton Smith
Forum Silver Medal

Wes:

The order doesn't really matter. It just happens that I put a number at the beginning of the file name when I saved and renamed the files. I then ZIPped them up by year. But I think that was really a bit anal; I really don't need to know the order in which they were published within a particular year.

Actually, you're missing one tune from 2005: MacDonald of Kinlochmoidart's Lament (No 2). That was the 3rd tune published that year.

I'm betting the two tunes that have MP3s associated with them - The Battle of Strome and MacKays' Banner (revised) - are from some time after 2004. The other - Lament for Donald of Laggan - could be from before then. (In fact, I don't remember there being any MP3s in 2005 - I certainly didn't download any - although there are now MP3s to accompany some of the 2005 tunes.)

Interesting stuff!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have written out the set tunes analyzed by Dr Donaldson by year (I just went through my 3-ring binders) in MS Word; pm me if interested and I will be glad to send it to you. Battle of Strome is from the year 2006, Lament for Donald of Laggan is from 2004, and Mackay's Banner was revised in 2009 (originally published in 2001). I tried to post the list here, but it is too long. Should have come up with the list a long time ago.

All the best -

Wes
Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Andrew Berthoff
Forum Regular

Each year there's a news article after (or even before in a few instances) the Piobaireachd Society releases the set tunes.

If you search the archive of pipes|drums articles (numbers close to 3500 now) using "set tunes" in the headline field, each article from each year should come up.

Cheers,

Andrew Berthoff
Andrew Berthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Kenton Smith
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Berthoff View Post
... If you search the archive of pipes|drums articles ... using "set tunes" in the headline field, each article from each year should come up.
Hi, Andrew:

Thanks for the reply. I tried the search you recommended, along with a bunch of other searches, but couldn't find what i wanted - something to tell me what tunes were discussed in what years and the order in which they were discussed in those years. The search turned up all the articles, but unless I opened up each article individually and read the copyright line at the end, there was nothing to indicate what year they came from, let alone their relative position within that year.

It's OK though. Between Wes (Texas Gael) and me we came up with everything we needed to construct (what we think is) a complete list for 2001 through 2009, with all the articles in their proper order.

All the best,
Kenton