Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Ben Shaffer
Forum Clasp

Default name that tune

This is annoying...... I heard some Pipers play this Tune on You Tube. I said hey I play that tune, pulled out my Pipes and played the Tune, but for the life of me can't tell you the name. Its a common tune, but what is it?
Ben Shaffer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-fmothgKtE
Ben Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
Ben Shaffer
Forum Clasp

Default Re: name that tune

found it in my tunebook collection The Highland Brigade at Magersfonten
Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Dutypiper
Forum Member

and? wich collection?
Dutypiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Kenton Smith
Forum Silver Medal

Actually... It's Colin's Cattle. Scots Guards Book I, tune number 392, page 222 (depending upon which edition you have) and in Donald MacLeod Book 1, page 24.

The Highland Brigade at Magersfontein, a similar but different tune, is in Cowal Collection Book 5, page 26, and in the Queens Own Highlanders Book, page 40.

It may be (probably is) in other books published after 1966 - the year of my copy of the Bagpipe Music Index.

That was the favorite tune of the guy I have most to thank for how well I play today. His name was George Glass. He was with the Black Watch in India in World War I. He played bass drum in the '60s with a some of the best bands in the Detroit area. When I was just a beginner (just having started on the bagpipes) he introduced me to some really good players and bands and got me into the Chrysler Highlanders, for which he was bass drummer and band manager. My favorite practice to practice is at the nearby cemetery where he and his wife are buried, and I always practice by their graves, and I always start with Colin's Cattle.

There's a terrific recording of the song on which this tune is based on the CD Gaelic Songs of Scotland: Women at Work in the Western Isles. It's called Crodh Chailein.

And I'm completely with you on the "play it but can't remember the name" syndrome. I don't know how many times I've started playing a tune I haven't played in 10s of years and can't for the life of me remember what it is!

Last edited by Kenton Smith; 09-22-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Add published sources for both tunes.
Kenton Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

There's a link below to the tune on Jim McGillivray's site (with harmony), but I remember learning this beautiful song at school, and being delighted when, years later, I opened a book of Children's Songs from Around the World, and there it was again. And yet again at a band practice in Kilsyth, someone gave out the tune music, along with a nice countermelody by Gordon Walker I believe. It's such a simple melody, maybe that's why it's so beautiful. The book of childrens songs was called The Singing Sack and comes with a CD. It's a brilliant collection for anyone looking for material for children, and if I remember correctly, there are several songs which could be used in a traditional/piping context.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Ben Shaffer
Forum Clasp

Thats funny about the Brigade and Colins how they both start a to b to cc in the first measure.
Good to know both of these nice tunes
Kenton , nice remembrances on Colins
Ben Shaffer