Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Don Smith
Forum Silver Medal

Default Name this bagpipe

I ran across these at a games recently and I am thinking early Hardie. Some of the silver is stamped RGH but not all. Robertson was suggested but I very much doubt it.

Check out photos here:
http://s785.photobucket.com/albums/y...ie%20bagpipes/

Help pinning them down would be great.

Thanks,

Don
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Paul Ouellette
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Name this bagpipe

Don : As I'm told, the Robertson firm had some orders filled by Grainger & Campbell in the final days of the Robertson company's existance.

Ken Smith, a piper in the Detroit area & formerly a band mate, said he ordered a set of Robertsons (in the late 60's as I recall..) but instead received a set of half-silver G&C's instead.

My guess is that those pipes are Grainer & Campbell's from that carry over period in the final days of the Robertson company.

P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Neill Mulvie
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
Don : As I'm told, the Robertson firm had some orders filled by Grainger & Campbell in the final days of the Robertson company's existance.

Ken Smith, a piper in the Detroit area & formerly a band mate, said he ordered a set of Robertsons (in the late 60's as I recall..) but instead received a set of half-silver G&C's instead.

My guess is that those pipes are Grainer & Campbell's from that carry over period in the final days of the Robertson company.

P.
A set of bagpipes with RGH stamped silver and mounts/turning which looks like Hardie's style is described as Robertson or Grainger and Campbell
How does this Logic work?

Last edited by Neill Mulvie; 10-12-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Neill Mulvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Gord MacDonald
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post

P.
I am with Paul.....had a quick look at the pictures last night and Grainger Campbell was my immediate thought.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

WOW... I just had deja vu a little bit. Whatever these are... they are some kind of knock off of those. OR maybe they are those, after 30-40 years of exposure to high wasteland desert climate...

http://www.rojellio.com/oldpipes1.jpg

http://www.rojellio.com/oldpipes2.jpg

http://www.rojellio.com/oldpipes3.jpg Notice the pins holding the ring caps in place.

These were Ken Miller's bad weather and all around "beater set".... from back in the day before Poly/Delrin Pipes existed. I kind of suspected they were of Mid-East manufacture. I played them for about 7 years... and actually got a good sound out of them. Getting a sweet sound out of that lot isn't the most brilliant way to make friends with people who arent getting the most out of thier new'ish set of known maker Pipes.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
David Waterhouse
Forum Member

The hallmarks on the silver seem to indicate Birmingham, 1947 (see photo 9). I cannot discover the identity of the silversmith "D & N".

David Waterhouse
David Waterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Adam Sanderson

Dalman & Narborough.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Thomas_Childs
Forum Regular

Are they Kintails?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
farleyer
Forum Regular

Picture 9 hallmark is for Dalman & Narbourgh 1972 which would make more sense of the Hardie atribute as Hardie did not start trading until 1950.
I can't make out the rest of the stamps in the rgh hallmarked piece is it the same date letters etc
farleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Don Smith
Forum Silver Medal

Zooming in on the pictures the halmark in picture 9, it looks like an anchor a lion and the letter x if that is any help.

cheers,

Don

Looking at the silver, I am wondering if it is a retrofit from another pipe with missing/lost pieces replaced with newer silver Does this apear likely from the pictures?