Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #21
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: beginner's fears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post
OH yes Archie knows his stuff, he knows every trick a piper can do to cheat. I think he won't hear the fact that I made a E grace note rather than a D, but he catches every goof. He also makes me use a practice goose to play a tune so I can't cheat between phrases. I use to learn a tune on the chanter and then take it to the pipes. Not any more, I just start out on the goose and start honking away.

SO
to my practice time is 1/2 practice goose. 1/2 drones alone for the most part or drones and ONE NOTE ONLY.

It is a relief to get to the pipes

Cheers
Archie's stress on controlling the pipe, the tone, the notes and the drones all together is inspiring. Thus his well-deserved reputation. So many teachers give students the impression that practice chanter technique is most of the game, whereas the truth is that the tone we blow is the canvas upon which we paint, and if it isn't in shape, all that technique is for nix & nought.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #22
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

What those guys said.

At the beginning of this season one of the great judges in the EUSPBA called me over to his table after my performance to tell me "You play too well to play out of tune."

Ouch.

I wasn't agregiously out of tune -- but tuning bagpipes is one of those things where "close enough" just isn't.

So I spent a lot of time this season working on tuning, and at the end of the season the same judge wrote, "Excellent sounding instrument."

Previously when Ron described that drone exercise I tried it, and it seemed to really work, but I only did it once or twice. I think now that the off-season has arrived I'm going to try it more consistently. Thanks Ron!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #23
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Please don't thank me, thank Archie. Archie is one of the real gents in piping. He tells a story that when he was a lad he had a major competition and before he went on he had a reed problem and went up to a senior competitor and asked for help. The Senior piper sighed and took his reed and then TURNED HIS BACK on Archie to adjust the reed, making sure that Archie got a good reed BUT didn't know how to adjust it himself. Archie promised at that moment that he would help anyone who asked for it. Well I can say that THIS cheesy piper has been helped by Major Archie, more than I can say. Archie is always ready to help a rookie piper. Now if you want more go to archiecairnmusic.com. He has a lifetime of wisdom. Ok you might say that this is a cheep advert for Archie, but I say why wouldn't you want to buy a lifetime of piping wisdom and help support one of the Masters of Piping in his golden years. Don't get me started on his piobaireachd books.

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #24
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

That would be

http://archiecairnsmusic.com/

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote