Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default AyrFire Curiosity

I tried an AyrFire chanter 3 years ago and thought it was quite a grand chanter.

Just curious, since I don't get out to competitions much, who has adopted it and who likes it. Are any bands using it for a band chanter?

With a lot of chanters on the market these days I can see how good products might be easily overlooked, and I am hoping to hear the AyrFire is fairing well. I might pick up another one myself.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: AyrFire Curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
I tried an AyrFire chanter 3 years ago and thought it was quite a grand chanter.

Just curious, since I don't get out to competitions much, who has adopted it and who likes it. Are any bands using it for a band chanter?

With a lot of chanters on the market these days I can see how good products might be easily overlooked, and I am hoping to hear the AyrFire is fairing well. I might pick up another one myself.
I have one and it is a good chanter. I need a very close spaced chanter and find that (like most others!) it doesn't suit my small fingers all that well. For average sized hands it is a good bet.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:12 AM   #3
pipernz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
That seems true, as well as some dominating the market.

Is it a plastic chanter judging by prices I've seen after a Google? Doesn't mention in the description.
pipernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:21 AM   #4
colinmaclellan
Forum Gold Medal

The Ayrfire Chanter's been a great success. It's a chanter aimed at a lower cost market; a chanter which is sold at an extremely affordable price which is at least equal or better than anything currently available. It's available in plastic only because of the demand and I have played it myself for the past four years, and I wouldn't be doing that if it genuinely wasn't the best chanter available to me. There are a lot of chanters here!

Here's a couple of clips of Cameron Drummond and Jenny Hazzard giving some tunes on it; pretty well all of their multitude of prizes in the past few years have been won on the Ayrfire, with my reeds.

I should state that I have an interest in the chanter, being its designer. If you want an outstanding chanter at a low price, it's ready and available. Many thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjvcNr_nmK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLnyAcy1Bg
Old 11-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks for chiming in Colin. At $160 shipped to the U.S. (ordered from your website) it is definitely one of the cheaper chanter options out there.

Considering what I remember of the first one I bought, it has to have one of the higher values per cost.

I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered another one. I've always regretted selling the first one.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Just curious, where does the Ayrfire chanter pitch? ( 466, 472, 478...?)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
Steven_Riesenberg
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Just curious, where does the Ayrfire chanter pitch? ( 466, 472, 478...?)
I'll let you know in a few days- an AyrFire is en route to me from the piper's hut with a MacPhee reed. (They were currently out of MacLellan reeds.) I see from Patrick's blog he was hitting 480 with a Gilmour...
Steven_Riesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Depending on the reed 478-480 Hz.

My impression is that it would make a good band chanter as it is seemingly flatter that many other modern "band" chanters that are 480+.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
Steven_Riesenberg
Forum Regular

Indoors at 70F I'm getting 475 with a MacPhee, 475 with Troy McAllister, and 474 with Shepherd. I'm reeeeallly enjoying the Shepherd. Will have to try the MacLellan as well... once I get one. The chanter feels very nice- similar spacing to Colin Kyo, but for my fingers, a little better!
Steven_Riesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:06 AM   #10
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd_ISP View Post
The chanter feels very nice- similar spacing to Colin Kyo, but for my fingers, a little better!
I recall it maybe being a bit longer in the spacing than the Colin Kyo, but so is my Naill practice chanter. My issue is usually, "are the holes where my fingers expect them to be?" Some chanters really stretch out the low A (and B) hole(s) but leave the C where it is so it doesn't go flat with new reeds making it a difficult hole to find relative to the anchored pinkie. I don't recall the AyrFire having "difficult" spacing, so yes, I recall it being a comfortable chanter.