Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

Default Re: Pipers' Gathering in Litchfield, CT

This coming Thursday our combined smallpipe group will assemble for our weekly practice. I will inform the group of this forum to voice their ideas, suggestions and piping stories. If you are connected with any others who have attended or wish to attend the Gathering, please inform them of this forum. www.bobdunsire.com has world wide reach, which could be a plus for the Gathering.

Our leader has assembled a new collection of tunes for us to work on for performances next year. Many in our group attended the Gathering this year and a good time was had by all, plus two in our group took delivery of bellows SSPs replacing their Fireside style smallpipes. Once they master the bellows they will love them!!!
At the open mic. this year I performed a vocal/pipe tune (The Old Figurehead Carver) It seemed to be well received but I noticed that my voice was overpowered by the pipes. I discussed this problem with others and they recommended I purchase a simple mixer and condenser microphones. The mixer arrived yesterday so I quickly read the instructions and hooked it up to my existing system and WOW what a difference!! I was able to adjust both mics. separately and I must say I sounded pretty good I wrote down the model numbers of the mics. used at the Gathering pro concerts and they should arrive sometime this week.
More toys to play with!!
Stay in touch and tell your stories of the Gathering
Old 08-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
TheDale
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSchlie View Post
-snip- they recommended I purchase a simple mixer and condenser microphones. The mixer arrived yesterday so I quickly read the instructions and hooked it up to my existing system and WOW what a difference!! I was able to adjust both mics. separately and I must say I sounded pretty good I wrote down the model numbers of the mics. used at the Gathering pro concerts and they should arrive sometime this week.
More toys to play with!!
Stay in touch and tell your stories of the Gathering
G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) can be a serious malady. Be careful!

A mic for every sound source is a good idea. You might even consider separate mics for your drones and chanter.

That being said, a large-diameter condenser mic could do the job for pipes/vocals, but it must be placed properly.

What mixer and mics did you choose? Good condenser mics can be wickedly expen$ive!
TheDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

I agree with your statement!! I remember starting with a cheap practice chanter $45 and gradually building up to 2 sets of pro quality SSP pipes. Is it better to work your way up or work your way down? Their's two lines of thought on this subject.
I should have started another thread for this equipment topic, but to answer your question.
Being an amateur musician who is only performing at local open mic. & non-pro venues I've gone with entry/mid level equipment. I ordered the Behringer 1202FX mixer from Amazon for $100 and it does what I need it to do. (adjust and separate the vocal from the SSPs) Musician's Friend had a Audio-Technica condenser mic. package that included the AT2020 & AT2021 for $170. I'm hoping they are better than my two Shure dynamic mics. The Pipers Gathering used Audio-Technica microphones recently.
Happy Trails
Old 08-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
TheDale
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSchlie View Post
I agree with your statement!! I remember starting with a cheap practice chanter $45 and gradually building up to 2 sets of pro quality SSP pipes. Is it better to work your way up or work your way down? Their's two lines of thought on this subject.
I should have started another thread for this equipment topic, but to answer your question.
Being an amateur musician who is only performing at local open mic. & non-pro venues I've gone with entry/mid level equipment. I ordered the Behringer 1202FX mixer from Amazon for $100 and it does what I need it to do. (adjust and separate the vocal from the SSPs) Musician's Friend had a Audio-Technica condenser mic. package that included the AT2020 & AT2021 for $170. I'm hoping they are better than my two Shure dynamic mics. The Pipers Gathering used Audio-Technica microphones recently.
Happy Trails
The condensers should be much better for amplifying your instrument than the Shure dynamic mics. I have an Audio-Technica 2050 multi-pattern mic, a pair of Tascam small condensers - mostly to use with my Tascam digital recorder (DR 44WL), a couple Audio-Technica dynamic vocal mics and one of the cheap Shure dynamic vocal mics. Was shopping for a mixer for a while, but never bought one. I'm trying to get away from buying stuff I'll rarely need! My downfall is B&H Photo-Video and their daily deals.
TheDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:13 AM   #15
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

The Pipers' Gathering now has a FaceBook Group, thanks to Lucas Mitsch
Old 08-29-2017, 04:39 AM   #16
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

That's great Bob!
I'll have to have my wife show me how to access Facebook on my iMac. I'm still living in the dark ages with all this computer stuff. If we continue to spread the word on The Pipers' Gathering we can hopefully keep it going. I was looking forward to letting you hear our copper tube extensions at the open mic.
You did a great job as the MC during the concerts. You've got my vote to do it again
Old 08-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I'm sorry I missed the Open mic. I was looking forward to it. I have some extensions I use as well, one for returning the baritone drone to D and one for the tenor drone to G as a baritone drone against to D drones and a D chanter.

What browser are you using? Obviously you're accessing Dunsire on line.

PM me and I'll help you get onto Facebook. I'm also using an iMac .
Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #18
J.R.
Forum Silver Medal

I've seriously considered going to both The Pipers Gathering and Carideas in the past, and while I am much closer to both than people living out west, it's still hard for a car-less city dweller to get to. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but something slightly more accessible by public transportation or with more alternatives for lodging would help sweeten the pot.

A more long term idea - I'm fascinated by the idea of local alternative pipers clubs. Regular, smaller sessions and perhaps competitions might encourage a community that would in turn feed the participation at the major annual gatherings (or at least allow for carpooling). Not unlike how pipe bands encourage individuals to come together regionally in order to grow as players and then meet at games, competitions, and workshops. It would certainly help in terms of knowing where players are - sort of like the benefit of the EUSPBA being able to share membership with games in order to send mailers out.

Personally, I'd love to see regular alternative piping events in places like New York or Boston, where I know large groups of all manner of pipers are but, for some reason, rarely see. For example, with the exception of the Iona session, I almost never see border or small pipers playing out in NYC, which seems crazy. And while I certainly enjoy being able to grab a pint or play with fiddlers and other musicians, there are many times when I'd much prefer just going through tunes with other pipers and not trying to put on a show.

Anyway - two cents from somebody that hopes to go one of these days.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #19
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
I've seriously considered going to both The Pipers Gathering and Carideas in the past, and while I am much closer to both than people living out west, it's still hard for a car-less city dweller to get to. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but something slightly more accessible by public transportation or with more alternatives for lodging would help sweeten the pot.
For what it's worth, both events have folks attend from in and around NYC. Next time they come around, if'n you're interested, you might check with the organizers to see if they might link you up with a ride.

Trying to set something up in an urban location(read- easier to get to by public transportation) is that the facility costs are out of the range of the event. And, many folks like to get out in the country where they can play outdoors as well as inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
A more long term idea - I'm fascinated by the idea of local alternative pipers clubs. Regular, smaller sessions and perhaps competitions might encourage a community that would in turn feed the participation at the major annual gatherings (or at least allow for carpooling). Not unlike how pipe bands encourage individuals to come together regionally in order to grow as players and then meet at games, competitions, and workshops. It would certainly help in terms of knowing where players are - sort of like the benefit of the EUSPBA being able to share membership with games in order to send mailers out.

Personally, I'd love to see regular alternative piping events in places like New York or Boston, where I know large groups of all manner of pipers are but, for some reason, rarely see. For example, with the exception of the Iona session, I almost never see border or small pipers playing out in NYC, which seems crazy.
That seems like an idea worth pursuing. There are a few SSP groups scattered about, but it would take a bit of effort to develop a session like that. Find a place, develop a mailing list (through here or other similar Forums/social media/etc.) offer free beer (the first time) and see what you get. It may be like rolling rocks uphill but on the other hand, it might just work out.

Best wishes.

Steve
Old 09-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #20
johnsog
Forum Regular

I've only been able to go once, in 2011, but really enjoyed my time. It was in Burlington, which was a delightful place. My reasons for not going are, first, that it usually is held just when school is starting and I can't take the time off and, second, it's usually too expensive for me to fly from the upper Midwest. Therefore my two cents worth might be of little value but I agree that having instructors from overseas is part of the draw. There are a lot of annual/semiannual conventions that travel, happening in a different place each year, but that would add its own challenges to the planning.
I do hope the event can continue. If I am ever blessed with the delight of retirement, I will certainly plan to save gig money so I can go again. Good luck, all, and thanks to all who are involved in planning this wonderful event.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote