Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Highland pipes in G

I was just revisiting Julian's site the other day. He is certainly exploring new ideas with regard to pipes!
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

Actually, I'm fairly certain that Colin Armstrong is the madman behind the Colin Armstrong double pipes, with Julian Goodacre there as facilitator. Not to take anything away from either of them. Check The Savage Prunes videos as well as Colin's. Colin was more or less working as apprentice and getting Julian's help, as I understood it. Two great minds on one project. In the end, I doubt you could point to it and say which of the two, but without either of them, no project.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

It's Callum, not Colin, and he does indeed play a triple chanter, as well as his double chanter. He works so closely with Julian that I suspect it would be difficult to claim the work as one or the other's.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I did that around 20 years ago, tuned drones down to Ab (what pipers call G).

Highland pipers have always played tunes in Ab (G), just over Bb (A) drones.

What "G" gives you is the supertonic or 9th, the sharp 7th, and the ability to play the 4th either natural or sharp.

Many hymn tunes have an accidental, a sharp 4th which appears sometimes.

Play Morning Has Broken in G- all the notes of the real tune are right there under your fingers.

Now play Eternal Father Strong To Save in G. Once again all the notes are right there, including the 4th (your "C") which alternates between sharp and natural.

Playing in G opens up many hymn tunes. I wrote a piper's hymnal many years ago (that I never published) which puts quite a few hymns in G, because that's the only key that works.

Not only hymn tunes, try Anchors Aweigh, Caissons, and Wild Blue Yonder.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 02-25-2018 at 06:07 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #15
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks Richard, I'll give those a go!
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #16
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I did that around 20 years ago, tuned drones down to Ab (what pipers call G).

Highland pipers have always played tunes in Ab (G), just over Bb (A) drones.

What "G" gives you is the supertonic or 9th, the sharp 7th, and the ability to play the 4th either natural or sharp.

Many hymn tunes have an accidental, a sharp 4th which appears sometimes.

Play Morning Has Broken in G- all the notes of the real tune are right there under your fingers.

Now play Eternal Father Strong To Save in G. Once again all the notes are right there, including the 4th (your "C") which alternates between sharp and natural.

Playing in G opens up many hymn tunes. I wrote a piper's hymnal many years ago (that I never published) which puts quite a few hymns in G, because that's the only key that works.

Not only hymn tunes, try Anchors Aweigh, Caissons, and Wild Blue Yonder.
If you can "pinch" a high B, then all the tunes mentioned above work just as well ( I'd say better) with "A" (Bflat) drones. The Air Force Song requires a couple of chromatic runs at the bottom. (I surprised an Air force Major General last November who never heard the tune played properly on Bagpipes before.) Add a cross-fingered Hi G# and a whole new world of tunes opens up in addition to Caissons and Going Home.